WHAT DO COMPUTER REPAIR TECHNICIANS DO?
At a certain point in time, computers will become self-aware, and all decisions will be made by them. Until we have to bow down to our new computer overlords, we need computer repair technicians to keep them working.
Computer repair technicians assess, repair and maintain computers for companies and individuals. They may work directly for a large company, at repair shops, or for computer repair companies which travel to the customer's location. Computer repair technicians use tools and technology to maintain computers at optimal operating levels, and make repairs to computers, processors, hard drives, and monitors. They use specific tools to diagnose issues, make recommendations for repair or replacement to customers and test any new parts that are installed.
HOW MUCH DO COMPUTER REPAIR TECHNICIANS MAKE?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), in 2010 the median hourly income for computer repair techs was $17.92, or $37,280 annually.
WHAT ARE THE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS?
You can get started with a high school diploma, as long as you can demonstrated technical ability with computers. Many computer repair techs get some sort of associate's or technical degree in computer repair. After being hired, techs may get trained on specific computer systems used by the company or specialized diagnostic tools for sophisticated computer systems. Continuing education is encouraged as computer technology changes rapidly.
Certification is available.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Analytical Skills: Computer repair techs need to be able to solve issues that might not have a clear solution. Being able to experiment and use trial and error is important.
- Communication: Computer repair techs have to ask questions and listen to customers in order to find out the issue, explain the problem in a clear and understandable way, and give them options for repair or replacement.
- IT Skills: Using diagnostic tools to assess or monitor computer systems requires knowledge of IT skills.
- Dexterity: Computer repair techs use their hands to manipulate objects within the computer.
- Troubleshooting: Computer repair techs must be able to diagnose, repair and test computer problems as they arise.
THE FUTURE OF COMPUTER REPAIR TECHNICIANS
Computer repair technician jobs will grow slowly between 2010 and 2020, according to the BLS.