WHAT DO COPYWRITERS DO?
Guess what? The words you are reading right now were written by a copywriter. And he made money doing it! He's also very handsome, but that's not relevant here. Copywriters are the handsome, good-smelling men and women who create fresh written content for advertising, marketing and descriptive texts.
Copywriters can write more creative text, like ad jingles, taglines, and other creative copy, or more research-based copy, like a job description on a website. Copywriters should know how to write for various mediums, such as print, web, radio and television. Copywriters work with editors to determine tone and brainstorm ideas, and may work with a designer or art director for advertising.
Copywriters might work for a company or work as a freelancer. They are hired based on their ability to create compelling text that draws readers in, conveys a certain message or entertains.
HOW MUCH DO COPYWRITERS MAKE?
It depends a lot on where you work and what type of copy you're writing. But the median hourly income for writers and authors in 2010 was $26.64, or $55,420 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
WHAT ARE THE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS?
A good blend of education and experience will get you started as a copywriter. You need at least a bachelor's degree in a field like journalism, english, or communications. If your writing is focused on a specific subject, like biology or cars, you will want to be well versed in those subjects. Experience can come from writing in high school and college for school papers, internships or other programs. Copywriters often need a portfolio of work to show their writing abilities and the scope of their proficiency.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Creativity: You will need to create original work and develop ideas around your chosen themes.
- Determination: Some assignments can take a long time to finish, or your editor may turn it around for many, many revisions.
- Persuasion: Copywriters need to know how to write persuasively and in some cases, defend their creative choices.
- Social Perceptiveness: Copywriters need to have their finger on the pulse, so that their copy is relevant and modern, and understand how people will react to their writing.
- Writing Skills: Copywriters need to write well: with proper tone, feeling, sentence structure and emotion. Grammar counts!
CAREER PATHS FOR COPYWRITERS
THE FUTURE OF COPYWRITERS
Demand will grow slowly between 2010 and 2020, according to the BLS. While there are plenty of opportunities for jobs, competition is fierce.