Ashley left us a blog comment with some great tips, and it was so awesome that we asked her if we could turn it into a separate post! Here is the advice she’s used to help her land interviews and get hired.
“I love Snagajob.com, and I have landed at least three interviews from this site. JC Penny’s is a recent one. I am currently waiting on the background check to come back so I can get trained. If your job search is not going as well as you thought it would, here are a few tips that helped me tremendously with my job search:
Searching for jobs
- Research the company. Nothing is worse than being so eager to get hired only to find out that you absolutely hate the job after you’re hired.
- Know what the company’s values are and network with some of the employees to see if it is right for you.
- Be completely honest on your application because a lot of companies, especially retail stores, do background checks.
- Proofread your application before you submit it. Make sure phone numbers and reference names are correct.
- On questionnaires, actually read all of the choices and choose the most logical one. You’ll get immediately rejected if you don't pass the questionnaire.
- Follow up. After a week or two, give them a call to let them know that you are interested in becoming a member of their team. Most of all, give them time. Don't harass them by calling them every other day. I made that mistake once with Chik-Fil-A.
- If the company doesn’t accept online applications, make sure that you are dressed professionally when turning in applications or stopping by to check on your application. You need to be professional at all times.
- When you finally get the call for an interview, start getting prepared.
- Look up common interview questions online and practice answering them.
- Get a friend to interview you so you can be even more prepared.
- Practice turning your weaknesses into strengths and how to use better words to impress the interviewer.
- After the interview, send the interviewer a thank-you note or email.
- Call to check on your status once a week.
- Keep submitting applications even after you’ve had an interview so that you will have a selection of jobs to choose from.
A big thank you to Ashley for taking the time to help other people with their job search, and good luck with your new job at JC Penny’s!