Most of us spend our pre-interview hours sweating what interview questions we’ll be asked, but don’t forget to put some thought into asking the right questions during an interview. You’d think common sense would keep most people from asking completely inappropriate questions during job interviews, but it happens.
It’s not easy being the hiring manager. Amy Hart, a human resources manager for Harvest Select, held a job fair to fill open positions. While speaking with the 13 people selected for interviews, one applicant asked her out and two others failed their drug tests (from Why Americans Won’t do Dirty Jobs).
Think a date is the weirdest request interviewers have received? Not by a long shot. Hiring managers have reported that instead of asking questions that can help them get hired, candidates have asked some truly off-the-wall questions, including:
- Can I get a ride home after the interview?
- Do you want to see the scars from my boating accident?
- Do I have to take a drug test?
- Can I get cab fare for the ride home?
- Can you please leave the office so I can take this phone call? (Asked after stopping to answer their cell phone mid-interview.)
Have you heard of (or made) a worse mistake? Which inappropriate question do you think is the absolute worst to ask during an interview? Tell us below!