So, what does this mean? We’ve compiled a few overarching points from the decision:
- Beginning in 2014, all Americans must obtain health insurance or a penalty will be incurred. There are provisions in place to help if you can’t afford the insurance.
- Children can continue to stay on parent’s health insurance until the age of 26.
- Insurance companies cannot limit or deny benefits because of a preexisting condition.
- Insurance companies can no longer charge higher premiums because of gender or health.
- Businesses with more than 50 full-time employees must provide coverage, or face a fine.
- Congress cannot force individual states to expand their Medicaid coverage. But, states can opt in to the expansion.
We’ll continue to monitor the impact of this ruling and will let you know how this may affect you.