WHAT DO APPLICATION DEVELOPERS DO?
An app developer isn't the guy who sprinkles bacon bits on your loaded potato skins. Well, maybe he is, but an application developer is someone who creates, tests and programs applications software for computers. Applications are used in almost every type of computer device, from desktops to handheld devices, and applications developers are the minds and fingers behind the greatest games, email and word processing functions that are available today.
Application developers work in teams to identify ideas and concepts for the general public, or a specific need brought to them by a customer. They are able to flesh out those ideas and create flow charts so that every part of the concept is thought out and accounted for. They understand coding languages and how to apply them in a way to create new, fresh content and usable applications. Depending on the job, application developers might work with graphic artists, data specialists and any number of software experts to create applications. Once the application is created, application developers help to test and fix any bugs that are found before the product is launched.
HOW MUCH DO APPLICATION DEVELOPERS MAKE?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) the 2010 median income for application developers was $43.52 per hour, or $90,530 a year.
WHAT ARE THE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS?
Application developers need a bachelor's degree in computer science and a strong knowledge of computer programming.
JOB SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Analytical Skills: Application developers must be able to recognize the needs of customers, and create new applications that answer those needs.
- Communication: Application developers must be able to clearly communicate their ideas to coders, teammates and management.
- Creativity: Creativity is needed to help invent new ways of approaching problems and developing innovative applications.
- Customer-Service: If dealing directly with clients and customers, application developers would need good customer service skills to answer questions and fix issues.
- Attention to Detail: Applications have many parts and all must work together for the application to function.
- Problem-Solving: As issues come up, application developers need to be able to make decisions that move the project forward.
- Teamwork: As part of a large team of developers, coders and more, application developers need to work well with others.
- Technical Skills: Application developers must be adept in computer languages and have good technical knowhow.
THE FUTURE OF APPLICATION DEVELOPERS
Application developer jobs will grow very quickly between 2010 and 2020, according to the BLS. Computer software continues to be in demand, and the BLS states that application developer jobs will grow by 28%.