We have a part-time opening for a Machinist/Machine Operator.
Must be able to work various shifts per week.
- Must have a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Be authorized to work in the United States.
- Background check required.
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old
Griffin Gear Inc.
Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts for the gearing industry, including the use of precision measuring tools. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
Job Duties and Tasks
- Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and vernier calipers.
- Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes,milling machines,shapers, or grinders.
- Measure,examine,and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications,using precision instruments such as micrometers.
- Set up,adjust and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machine operations.
- Align and secure holding fixtures,cutting tools,attachments,accessories,and material onto machines.
- Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.
- Study sample parts,blueprints,drawings,and engineering information in order to determine methods and sequences of operations needed to fabricate products, and determine product dimensions and tolerances.
- Select the appropriate tools,machines,and materials to be used in preparation of machinery work.
- Lay out,measure,and mark metal stock in order to display placement of cuts.
- Observe and listen to operating machines or equipment in order to diagnose machine malfunctions and to determine need for adjustments or repairs.
- Perform some basic maintenance such as oiling,greasing,and checking parts
- Check workpieces to ensure that they are properly lubricated and cooled.
- Maintain industrial machines,applying knowledge of mechanics,shop mathematics,metal properties,layout,and machine procedures.
- Position and fasten workpieces.
- Operate equipment to verify operational efficiency.
- Install repaired parts into equipment or install new parts.
- Clean and lubricate machines,tools,and equipment in order to remove grit,rust, stains and foreign matter.
- Set controls to regulate machining, or enter commands to retrieve,input,or edit computerized machine control data.
- Confer with engineering,supervisory, and other employees to exchange technical information.
- Fit and assemble parts to make or repair machine tools.
- Set up operating equipment as required.
- Due to the scope of the business,other duties will be assigned as needed.
Skills and Experience
- Set up and operate all standard machine tools
- Technical expertise with knowledge and skills in the following:
Metals and heat treatment
Computer numerical control(CNC)
Attention to detail
Written communication skills
Education and Training
We believe education,training and work experience are all important in the development of a skilled machinist/operator. So, we consider all these when evaluating a candidate. When considering education, we look at an Associate Degree in Machine Tool Technology as a plus. Industrial job related training may fit well. Experience, knowledge and learned skills may also be a fit for our operation. We consider the complete background of a candidate.
Griffin Gear,Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer