Are you looking for a part time job to supplement your income? How about working for Denver Public Schools as a PT Custodian. Wouldn’t it be nice to know kids are in a clean safe environment/school because of you? We try to assign you to a school that’s close to your home, so you don’t have to worry about transportation.
Join DPS today!
Working under the direction of the Facility Manager and/or Assistant Facility Manager, cleans facility and performs grounds work in accordance with DPS guidelines. May perform minor maintenance activities on facility and equipment.
- Communicates and coordinates with school staff, students and community in accordance with District Success Factors.
- Checks and verifies facility security and safety by locking doors, windows and gates; and reports unsafe conditions to supervisor.
- Services, sanitizes cleans, and supplies restrooms.
- Cleans and sanitizes drinking fountains and lunch room facilities.
- Cleans, dusts, sweeps, mops, scrubs, vacuums, shampoos facility surfaces and floors.
- Gathers, picks-up and empties facility, classroom and grounds trash.
- Follows proper procedures for chemical and power equipment use, in order to prevent damage and injury.
- Strips, seals, finishes, and polishes floors.
- Removes graffiti, gum and other markings from facility surfaces, and repaints with protective coating.
- Checks equipment according to guidelines and notifies managers of repairs to facility operating systems (e.g., plumbing, HVAC, electrical).
- Cleans air vents and filters.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance to ensure that machines continue to run smoothly, facility systems operate efficiently, or the physical condition of facility does not deteriorate.
- Performs a wide variety of grounds work (e.g., minor irrigation system repair, snow removal and sweeping of walkways and parking lots, landscape trimming and cultivating, edging and mowing grass, spraying and applying landscape chemicals).
- Makes minor repairs (e.g., furniture, lighting, electrical, classroom fixtures).
- Assists school and facility personnel with moving school related items; distributing supplies, materials and equipment; and assembling and installing furniture and equipment.
- Prepares facility for scheduled use.
- Perform other duties as requested.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Eighteen years or older.
- Passing score (8th grade and above) on reading test.
LICENSURE & CERTIFICATION
- Position is part of a collective bargaining group Communication Workers Of America.
KNOWLEDGE & OTHER QUALIFICATIONS
- Ability to coordinate with other staff to complete assigned work.
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with staff, students and community.
- Ability to work alone and secure facility.
- Ability to plan and organize assigned work, at times with interruptions.
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and in writing.
EQUIPMENT & VEHICLES USED
Operate and use general office computer equipment and related software.
Operate and use variety of facility maintenance equipment and tools (e.g., hand tools, saws, automated lifts, mowing equipment, blower, trimmer, snow blower, trimming tools, power tools, power washer, floor cleaning equipment, pool vacuum, ladders, lifts)
Operate and use a variety of custodial equipment and supplies (e.g., window cleaning equipment, sponges, squeegees, sweepers, floor buffer, custodial supplies, broom).
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around work place, manipulating and handling, reaching and detecting objects while simultaneously assisting, balancing, positioning, lifting, moving equipment and repair supplies and cleaning tools (vacuum, floor scrubber). The employee is occasionally required to remain in a stationary position, depending on type of repair and work being completed. The employee frequently uses stairs, gets low to ground, stoops, crawls and bends. The employee must frequently move, transport, position, install, lift or remove items or equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. without assistance; occasionally moves, transports, positions, installs, lifts, raises or removes items or equipment weighing 50-100 lbs. with assistance and over 100 lbs with assistance (e.g., using equipment or with another person (s) assisting). The employee occasionally moves, transports, positions, loads, unloads, raises or removes items that are in boxes, containers, wrapped on pallets, dolly’s, up stairs, in tight doorways, around corners in variety of district buildings. Employee frequently works at height on rigs, ladders, and scaffolds. Employee frequently keeps pace with, and has stamina to complete scheduled activities and tasks during work shift. Vision: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus, detect, analyze and complete repairs/assignment. Speech/Hearing: Frequently communicates with co-workers, students and staff in person to provide instruction. Hears, attends to and listens for sounds to monitor repairs, safety of self and others.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to coordinate, plan, analyze, instruct, evaluate, adjust, use interpersonal skills, problem solve, compare, copy, compile, monitor, attend to details of repairs and make decisions. The employee is occasionally required to compute.
Work is performed in variety of conditions, indoors and outdoors (e.g., heat, humidity, cold). Work performed infrequently at heights, around electrical and pinch points (risk of shock and vibration), occasionally high level of noise that necessitates ear protection. Work performed around pinch points, slippery surfaces, hazardous materials and custodial supplies/chemicals.
The duties, mental functions, physical demands and work environment factors described above are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in this classification.
*Custodian, Part Time Custodian, School Custodian, School Janitor, Part Time Janitor*
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old
Browse similar jobs
- Bilingual Jobs
- Analytical Jobs
- Carpentry Jobs
- Cleaning Jobs
- Computer Jobs
- Communication Jobs
- Building Maintenance Jobs
- Electrician Jobs
- Customer Service Jobs
- Facility Jobs
- Grounds Keeper Jobs
- Housekeeping Jobs
- Managerial Jobs
- High School Diploma Jobs
- HVAC Jobs
- Machine Maintenance Jobs
- Plumbing Jobs
- Writing Jobs
- School Jobs
- Part-Time Jobs