Assistant Manager Feast American Diners, LLC
Reporting to the General Manager, Restaurant Managers are responsible for the supervision of approximately 15 - 20 crew members, proper execution of the restaurant operations on their assigned shift, providing guests with a great dining experience, and upholding service and quality standards. Along with 1 – 2 other peer Restaurant Managers and/or Hourly Supervisors, Restaurant Managers will support the General Manager who has total accountability for the success of the restaurant. Restaurant Managers will be required to work day and night shifts, weekends, and holidays as the schedules are rotated. Additional responsibilities include focus on employee selection and retention, continuous operational improvement, understanding profit and loss statements, operating plans, and costs. Restaurant Managers must have a strong commitment to guest satisfaction and exhibit Denny’s Guiding Principles when interacting with others.
These are areas of performance in which the Restaurant Manager must be successful to meet their
1. Guests: Makes sure that all employees put “Guests First” to ensure a respectful and enjoyable
environment, satisfied guests, and repeat business.
2. People: Works with the General Manager to attract, hire, develop, coach, and retain hourly
employees to ensure an engaged, high-performing team. Does so by:
• Working to create and maintain a respectful and enjoyable environment for our employees.
• Assisting effectively with recruiting and selecting.
• Using corporate training programs, individual development plans, and work assignments to
develop employees’ knowledge and skills.
• Providing timely, constructive coaching and feedback.
3. Restaurant Operations: Assists the General Manager by overseeing assigned shifts to ensure
that Denny’s Brand Standards for food and service are consistently achieved. Does this by
making sure that guest service, food preparation, handling, and storage guidelines are constantly
4. Restaurant Sanitation: Assists the General Manager by overseeing assigned shifts to ensure that
Denny’s Brand Standards for restaurant sanitation are consistently achieved. Does this by
enforcing sanitary practices for the general cleanliness and maintenance of the restaurant.
5. Financials: Assists the General Manager in interpreting financial and operational reports and
schedules. Works with the General Manager to identify gaps in operating performance and to
develop solutions to ensure that controllable profit goals are achieved.
6. Growth: Helps drive sales, guest count, and profit for the restaurant by developing relationships
in the community with civic, business, school, and professional organizations.
7. Security: Monitors to ensure that proper security procedures are in place to protect guests,
employees, and company assets.
8. Asset Management: Monitors to ensure that proper cash handling and inventory management
procedures are in place to protect and conserve company assets.
9. Compliance: Maintains compliance with all Denny’s employment policies, as well as state, local,
and federal regulations.
10. Problem Resolution: Proactively ensures that problems are addressed and resolved (such as
customer complaints, employee relations issues, facilities or security issues, etc.). Brings
appropriate issues to the attention of the General Manager, recommends correction, and
participates in the resolution as required.
11. Teamwork: Performs other duties as needed or assigned; willingly assists others without being
1. Focusing on Guests: Has a "Guests First" mindset. Understands who his/her guests are and is
dedicated to exceeding their expectations. Puts guests firsts while balancing the needs and
priorities of the business to create win/win solutions.
2. Driving for Results: Is "Hungry To Win" for self, team, and Brand. Pushes self and others for
results that move the business forward. Can be counted on to meet or exceed goals
3. Working Collaboratively: Values and lives the "Power of We" through words and actions. Works
well with all people – guests, franchisees, support employees, supervisors, subordinates, peers,
vendors, etc. Is able to build and effectively manage productive relationships. Recognizes
individual's contributions and works with and through others to achieve common goals.
4. Personal Accountability and Decision Making: Earns the respect and trust of others by taking
initiative and honoring commitments. Makes timely, informed decisions and owns outcomes for
those decisions. Is open to new and differing perspectives when making a decision.
Understands the impact of his/her words and actions and strives to be a positive influence on
5. Managing Talent: Understands the Denny’s family is our most important asset and sees each
member of the team as a valuable part of the whole. Surrounds self with the best team and
makes tough, yet timely and appropriate, people decisions. Provides effective, timely feedback
and coaching. Selects strong, competent candidates and is able to develop strong leaders by
providing challenging assignments.
6. Planning, Prioritizing, and Organizing: Is able to identify and focus on critical priorities. Manages
time and resources of self and team effectively. Creates focus, obtains resources, and eliminates
1. Must be able to lift a tray weighing up to 25 lbs
2. Must be able to lift and carry supplies and equipment weighing up to 60 lbs and place items on
high and low shelves in office, store rooms, service areas, walk-in coolers, and freezers
3. Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, lift, and grasp
4. Must be able to hear well in a loud environment to respond to employee and guest needs
5. Must meet any state, county, or municipal regulation pertaining to health risk concerns about food
6. Must be able to operate point-of-sale system and differentiate between monetary denominations
7. Must be able to work with all Denny’s menu products
8. Must be able to work around potentially hazardous chemicals
9. Must have sufficient mobility to move and operate in confined work area
10. Must work inside and outside
11. Must be able to observe staff and all aspects of restaurant operations
12. Must be able to stand and walk during an 8 to 10 hour shift; occasional shifts in excess of 10
hours may be required due to the demands of the business
13. Must be able to tolerate extreme temperature changes in kitchen and freezer areas
1. Minimum of 2 years experience in restaurant, hospitality, or retail management; additional
operations and/or leadership experience strongly preferred
2. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree preferred or equivalent combination of education and
3. Food Safety Manager certification required
4. Strong organizational skills with excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to
communicate with all levels of the organization
5. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in the English language
6. Possesses basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
7. Places a value on diversity and shows respect for others
8. Proven ability to problem solve and handle high stress situations
9. Ability to interpret financial statements and understand contributing factors
10. Must be able to perform job duties of every position
11. Must be prepared to multitask in accordance with the demands of the business
12. Ability to identify and anticipate opportunities and implement corrective action steps
13. Ability to work weekends, holidays, and evenings
14. Periodic travel to include occasional overnight travel and airline travel when applicable
15. Licensed to operate an automobile without hours of operations restrictions
16. Has reliable transportation in order to meet banking obligations
Denny’s Guiding Principles
1. Guests First
They’re more than just customers or consumers. They are our guests and we invite them into our homes with open arms. They are the very reason why we are in business and the center of everything we do.
2. Embrace Openness
Open means so much more than just being open for business 24/7. It means being open to all people, appetites and budgets. It says we are open-minded and open to new ideas. Honest, warm and inviting. Open is the way we think and act every hour of every day.
3. Proud of Our Heritage
We are the classic American diner and proud of everything that means. Since 1953, we have served quality food and healthy portions at a fair price. No matter where we are, our light is always on inviting guests around the world to a place where everyone is welcome.
4. Hungry to Win
At Denny’s, we are constantly looking ahead. We are always moving, striving for more, hungry for greatness. We are open to fresh, innovative thinking. We believe we will succeed through teamwork, accountability and pushing the boundaries of ourselves and our Brand.
5. The Power of We
Our Denny’s family is our most important asset. We trust, support and respect each other and work together for the greater good. We recognize the contributions of all and empower each and every one of us to achieve great things. Together, we will celebrate our successes and have fun doing it.
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employees assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities or tasks which may be required to be performed in this position.
Denny's may amend, change, or modify the responsibilities and duties of this position to meet business needs as necessary. This job description does not constitute a contract for employment and may be changed at the discretion of Denny's with or without notice.