We have a full-time opening for a Safety Officer.
Must be able to work various shifts per week.
- Minimum Age
- 21+ years old
Safety Officer Responsibilities
- Maintaining and updating OHS policies and programs
- Advising and instructing on various safety-related topics (driver safety, PPE, workplace injuries)
- Conducting risk assessment and enforcing preventative measure
- Worker's comp, automotive, and general liability claims
- OSHA Logs & Reporting
- Employee Security Awareness Training
- Oversight of the current certified safety committee - Training and annual certifications
- Travel to our branch office locations in Columbus OH, Cleveland OH, and Fredrick MD
We are looking for a responsible Safety Officer to facilitate compliance with occupational health and safety (OHS) guidelines. You will provide advice on measures to minimize hazards or non-safe situations. You will also be on a constant lookout for violations. You will manage the administrative funcions pertaining to safety such as OSHA Logs, claims. You will be in charge of holding the monthly safety committee meetings and managing the annual certifications.
The ideal candidate will be a responsible individual who swears by OSH regulations. Your work will be largely focused on prevention so you need to be conscientious and farsighted. The ideal candidate will also be detail-oriented and ready to act in emergencies.
The goal is to establish a safe workplace according to legal standards and foster a culture of attention to health and safety.
** This position will require some travel to our branch offices located in Cleveland Ohio, Columbus, Ohio, and Fredrick Maryland.
- Support the development of OHS policies and programs
- Advise and instruct on various safety-related topics Conduct risk assessment and enforce preventative measures
- Review existing policies and measures and update according to legislation
- Initiate and organize OHS training of employees
- Inspect premises and the work of personnel to identify issues or non-conformity (e.g. not using protective equipment)
- Stop any unsafe acts or processes that seem dangerous or unhealthy
- Record and investigate incidents to determine causes and handle worker's compensation claims
- Prepare reports on occurrences and provide statistical information to upper management
- Proven experience as safety officer
- In depth knowledge of legislation (e.g. OSHA/EPA) and procedures
- Knowledge of potentially hazardous materials or practices
- Experience in writing reports and policies for health and safety
- Familiarity with conducting data analysis and reporting statistics
- Proficient in MS Office; Working knowledge of safety management information systems is a plus
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Diligent with great attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to present and explain health and safety topics
- BSc/BA in safety management, engineering or relevant field is preferred
- Certificate in occupational health and safety