The Tech Lead manages the overall shop performance for locations with up to 75 equivalent Bus units. This role oversees diagnoses, repairs and maintenance of NEC vehicles in order to accomplish results. Also responsible for meeting customer expectations while adhering to relevant regulations, requirements, policies and safe working practices and procedures. Ensures smooth operation and function of an effective repair and preventive maintenance program at an assigned location.
- Direct communication with Regional Maintenance Manager on technical and shop management functions.
- Oversees the maintenance shop to ensure operational readiness during scheduled working hours by planning, assigning and leading the day-to-day work for our NEC school buses in a specific Customer Service Center (CSC).
- Performs and/or leads the more advanced journeyman Technician work including technical, diagnostic, and maintenance work ensuring operational readiness during scheduled working hours.
- Coordinates maintenance activities with other Operations units (e.g. Route Logistics, Driver Care etc.).
- Reviews completed work orders of assigned staff and as appropriate, inspects work and/or test-drives vehicles to ensure repairs and maintenance are of the highest quality.
- Ensures proper work methods and techniques and ensure compliance with all applicable Federal, State/Provincial and local regulations, requirements, standards and specifications and company policies.
- Maintains work, time and material and equipment maintenance logs and records for self and assigned staff.
- Ensures the maintenance of a clean, safe, effective and efficient work environment including Identifying and making recommendations to resolve unsafe maintenance conditions or practices.
- Provides advice, support, guidance and/or hands on assistance to other shop technicians to ensure high quality.
- Provides ongoing training to technicians on proper maintenance and repair methods, practices, procedures and techniques and appropriate use of tools and equipment.
- Participates in recruiting activities when necessary to ensure the facility is fully staffed with qualified technicians.
- If the Lead Technician assumes the highest maintenance ranking in the facility, this role provides input to the GM on other maintenance personnel with regards to disciplinary and performance issues.
- Optimizes maintenance cycle time and ensuring that the shop meets or exceeds customer requirements.
- Ensures the use of the EAM (Enterprise Asset Management) ERP application along with recording and tracking local maintenance work orders and local parts inventory.
- Monitors the parts inventory maintained and used in the facility by ensuring compliance with EAM withdrawal, usage tracking and restocking procedures.
- Complies with the replenishing planning process under the direction and guidance of the Regional Maintenance Manager.
- Reviews, assesses and analyzes work processes and practices and identifies and recommends opportunities for improvements.
- Ensures quality metrics within the shop including quality of repair and shop cleanliness.
- Completes required audits as assigned.
- Participates in the annual planning, budgeting and resourcing activities for this maintenance facility under the guidance and direction of the appropriate Regional Maintenance Coordinator.
- Prepares, completes and submits reports paperwork and invoices on time and correctly on vehicle maintenance.
KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Basic computer skills in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Knowledge of Shop Management systems.
- Thorough knowledge of legislation, regulations and standards applicable to the assigned location (e.g. Federal, State, Provincial, local).
- Thorough knowledge of practices, techniques, procedures, materials and appropriate use and maintenance of special tools and electronic test equipment commonly used in the diagnosis, repair, preventative maintenance and modification of vehicle maintenance to prescribe procedures, methods and materials to assigned staff on complex repairs/projects.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, including handling of hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of NEC vision, values, structure, programs and service promise and relevant policies, procedures and practices to support NEC goals and objectives and coordinate appropriately with other business units.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Capacity to understand quality, safety and asset processes/metrics.
- Strong sense of personal accountability.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ensure a safe work environment, quality execution, and customer service.
- Demonstrated customer service focus.
- Ability to solve operational problems with minimal assistance.
- Ability to coach and develop others.
- Ability to respond appropriately to unanticipated events to ensure excellence in customer service.
CORE LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Technical Expertise: Demonstrates depth of knowledge and skill in a technical area.
- Time Management: Sets priorities well in an effort to remain productive with daily tasks.
- Stress Management: Functions effectively when under pressure and maintains self-control in the face of hostility or provocation.
- Communicates Effectively: Expresses ideas clearly and concisely; disseminates technical and company-related information and activities to others.
- Develops and Maintains Positive Working Relationships: Builds cooperative relationships; skilled at relating to many different types of people, including co-workers, superiors, peers, and customers.
REQUIREMENTS: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must be 21 years of age.
- High School Diploma (GED equivalent) or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Must successfully pass Tech Lead screening.
- Possession of the required certification for the assigned location by a recognized certifying agency
- US - Certification by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) testing
- Canada -Red Seal endorsed interprovincial certificate as certified journeyman, Ontario Truck and Coach Certification (310S or 310T) etc.
- two years of vocational training
- five years’ experience in automotive or truck technical repair while obtaining above certifications within one year of employment
- Valid appropriate licenses and/or certification required to operate company vehicles in assigned location must be obtained within 90 days.
- Valid Air Brake certification (US only) must be obtained within 180 days.
- Possession of tools required for the position as outlined in the Tool Requirements Policy.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Continuous standing, walking, stooping, squatting, crouching, and kneeling with balance and gross motor coordination to walk, lean and climb on buses and ladders. Position requires continual bending, gripping, reaching and fine motor coordination to use and manipulate tools and other objects. Position requires frequent pushing and pulling of equipment and tools as well as frequent confined access.
- Frequent lifting and carrying at moderate intensity.
- Exposure to noise, exhaust, humidity, extreme temperatures, vibration, chemicals and sharp objects.
- Exposure to extremes in weather conditions as per the assigned location.
- Exposure to chemicals (e.g. gasoline, coolant, battery acid etc.).
- Working at heights above the ground, exposure to electrical shock and hazardous materials.
OVERSIGHT OF THESE KEY MAINTENANCE FUNCTIONS & TASKS
VEHICLE AND CHILD EVENTS:
- Decide on if bus can continue on route after event
- Repair of disabled bus
- Collects approved documentation and submits to corporate
- Receives New Bus and coordinates inspection
- Submits inspection documents to Frist Advantage
- Installs equipment and assets on bus
- Complete bus disposal/sale forms and submits to Oracle
- Adjusts bus status in Oracle to “Parked for Disposal”
- Removes company decals and equipment
- Swap out tires
- Release bus to buyer
- Complete bus transfer form and submits to Oracle
- Cancels open orders in Oracle
- Removes equipment and stores in maintenance
- Physically transfer bus to receiving CSC
- Dips tanks and reports reading to Mainsfield Oil via online
- Follows troubleshooting guide
- Informs operations analyst of defect
- Returns defected equipment to Zonar
- Receives and installs replacement equipment
- Contacts operations analyst to obtain new Zonar ID number
- CSC inputs Zonar ID number in Compass
- Complete and process new hire processes; complete new hire forms for corporate; input information into Compass
- Complete/review/approve any employee change forms; submit change forms to corporate
- Complete termination forms in Oracle and finalize documentation in Compass
- Complete manual expense form or submit electronic expense form in iExpense to corporate
- Oil changes
- Annual Inspections
- Tire changes
- Brake Jobs
- Seat Repairs
- Lights Repairs
- Transmission Repairs Diagnostic Equipment
- Advanced Diagnostics and Repairs
- Parts Requisitions
- Parts Approvals
- Inventory and Parts Room Management/Control
- State Regulations
- PM Compliance
- Maintenance Audit
- Fuel Inventory Management
- Work Order Entry
- Work Order Completion
- Work Order Close Outs
- Work Planning
- Parts/Tools Room Organization
- Oil Storage/Disposal
- Snow Removal
- Fleet Shuttling/Movement
Browse similar jobs
- 21 Or Older Jobs
- Clerical Jobs
- Cleaning Jobs
- Computer Jobs
- Communication Jobs
- Business Development Jobs
- Building Maintenance Jobs
- Commercial Driver Jobs
- Electrician Jobs
- Grounds Keeper Jobs
- Managerial Jobs
- High School Diploma Jobs
- HVAC Jobs
- Inventory Management Jobs
- Machine Maintenance Jobs
- Quality Assurance Jobs
- Writing Jobs