The Shop Manager/Supervisor manages the operations and performance of a variety of skilled, semi-skilled and unskilled technicians. This role oversees, diagnoses and repairs NEC vehicles in order to accomplish results and meet business objectives. This position is also responsible for meeting customer expectations while balancing financial, operating, quality, safety and asset targets. Progress is measured against the requirements of the business through leadership competencies and business metrics.
- Direct communication with Regional Maintenance Manager on technical and shop management functions.
- Provides hands-on day-to-day supervision of the coordination, scheduling and auditing of preventative, electrical and mechanical maintenance repairs for our NEC school buses in a specific Customer Service Center (CSC).
- Supervises the upkeep and operating maintenance of local offices located in or close to this maintenance facility, and offices in satellite locations served by this maintenance facility.
- Oversees the maintenance shop and its associated facilities to ensure operational readiness during scheduled working hours.
- Confirms all vehicles are safe, reliable, properly maintained and available when needed.
- Directs and completes work needed to implement preventive maintenance and unscheduled repairs for the vehicles serviced by this maintenance facility.
- Implements and ensures use of NEC maintenance and safety standard operating procedures and complies with all locally applicable public authority legislation, regulation and standards.
- Hires, trains and develops maintenance staff to ensure technicians are highly skilled and able to meet customer expectations.
- Participates in recruiting activities when necessary to ensure the facility is fully staffed with qualified technicians.
- Communicates with General Manager regarding informal and formal performance feedback and evaluations for the maintenance staff.
- Communicates with General Manager regarding performance concerns for maintenance staff.
- Maintains and supports a safe work environment through good housekeeping safety awareness training and employee involvement.
- Optimizes maintenance cycle time and ensures that the shop meets or exceeds customer requirements.
- Ensures the use of the EAM (Enterprise Asset Management) ERP application along with recording and tracking local maintenance work orders and local parts inventory.
- Monitors the parts inventory used in the facility by ensuring compliance with EAM withdrawal, usage tracking and restocking procedures.
- Complies with the replenishing planning process under the direction and guidance of the Regional Maintenance Coordinator.
- Schedules. plans and leads training meetings for technicians Operations staff and drivers on vehicle updates, new equipment and processes to assure optimal operational performance.
- Ensures quality metrics within the shop including quality of repair and shop cleanliness.
- Maintains relevant documentation required to meet and/or exceed local, state, federal, as well as customer requirements.
- Completes required audits as assigned.
- Participates in the annual planning, budgeting and resourcing activities for this maintenance facility under the guidance and direction of the appropriate General Manager and Regional Maintenance Manager
- Responsible for budget development, cost control, reporting, commitment of significant funds; accounts payable/receivable management, acquisition/maintenance of computers, systems and equipment.
- Prepares, completes and submits reports paperwork and invoices on time and correctly on vehicle maintenance.
- Responsible for tracking and accounting for warranty repair work.
KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Basic computer skills in a Microsoft Office environment.
- Knowledge of Shop Management systems.
- Ability to pull data from reporting systems for analysis and decision making.
- Thorough knowledge of and the ability to interpret and apply legislation, regulations and standards applicable to the assigned location (e.g. Federal, State, Provincial, local).
- Thorough knowledge of practices, techniques, procedures, materials and appropriate use and maintenance of special tools and electronic test equipment commonly used in the diagnosis, repair, preventative maintenance and modification of vehicle maintenance to prescribe procedures, methods and materials to assigned staff on complex repairs/projects.
- Knowledge of supervisory and training techniques and methods with demonstrated experience successfully supervising and training Technicians.
- Knowledge of safe work practices, including handling of hazardous materials.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Capacity to understand labor, financial, operating, quality, safety and asset processes/metrics.
- Strong sense of personal accountability and a proven track record of achieving desired results
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Commitment to a safe work environment, quality execution, and customer service as evidenced by previous experience and performance track record.
- Demonstrated customer service focus, work flow analysis and management skills.
- Ability to solve operational problems with minimal assistance.
- Capacity to evaluate alternatives in order to make best overall value decisions based on considering cost, customer expectations, driver needs and other factors.
- Ability to coach and develop others.
- Ability to respond appropriately to unanticipated events to ensure excellence in customer service.
CORE LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
- Brings Out the Best in Others: Has a special talent with people that is evident in his/her ability to pull people together into highly effective teams.
- Time Management: Sets priorities well in an effort to remain productive with daily tasks.
- Stress Management: Functions effectively when under pressure and maintains self-control in the face of hostility or provocation.
- Leading Others: Delegates to employees effectively, broadens employee opportunities, acts with fairness toward direct reports, and hires talented people for his/her team. Develops and Maintains
- Positive Working Relationships: Maintains smooth, effective working relationship; promotes effective teamwork.
- Selecting, Developing and Attracting People: Sizes up people well; tolerant of idiosyncrasies and patient with others; good counselor and mentor; brings out the best in people; offers others appropriately challenging assignments and the opportunity to grow.
- REQUIREMENTS: EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Must be 21 years of age.
- High School Diploma (GED equivalent) or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- College degree preferred (Associates or Bachelor’s) or 2 - 4 years or more experience in a maintenance operations environment required.
- At least 3 years of general management experience with over 7 years of automotive or truck technical repair and preventive maintenance experience
- Must successfully pass Shop Manager/Supervisor screening.
- Possession of the required certification for the assigned location by a recognized certifying agency
- US - Certification by the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) testing
- Canada -Red Seal endorsed interprovincial certificate as certified journeyman, Ontario Truck and Coach Certification (310S or 310T) etc.
- 2 years of vocational training
- 7 years’ experience in automotive or truck technical repair while obtaining above certifications within one year of employment
- Valid appropriate licenses and/or certification required to operate company vehicles in assigned location must be obtained within 90 days
- Valid Air Brake certification (US only) must be obtained within 180 days.
- Possession of tools required for the position as outlined in the Tool Requirements Policy.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Continuous standing, walking, stooping, squatting, crouching, and kneeling with balance and gross motor coordination to walk, lean and climb on buses and ladders. Position requires continual bending, gripping, reaching and fine motor coordination to use and manipulate tools and other objects. Position requires frequent pushing and pulling of equipment and tools as well as frequent confined access.
- Frequent lifting and carrying at moderate intensity.
- Exposure to noise, exhaust, humidity, extreme temperatures, vibration, chemicals and sharp objects.
- Exposure to extremes in weather conditions as per the assigned location.
- Exposure to chemicals (e.g. gasoline, coolant, battery acid etc.).
- Working at heights above the ground, exposure to electrical shock and hazardous materials.
OVERSIGHT OF THESE KEY MAINTENANCE FUNCTIONS & TASKS
VEHICLE AND CHILD EVENTS:
- Decide on if bus can continue on route after event
- Repair of disabled bus
- Collects approved documentation and submits to corporate
- Receives New Bus and coordinates inspection
- Submits inspection documents to Frist Advantage
- Installs equipment and assets on bus
- Complete bus disposal/sale forms and submits to Oracle
- Adjusts bus status in Oracle to “Parked for Disposal”
- Removes company decals and equipment
- Swap out tires
- Release bus to buyer
- Complete bus transfer form and submits to Oracle
- Cancels open orders in Oracle
- Removes equipment and stores in maintenance
- Physically transfer bus to receiving CSC
- Dips tanks and reports reading to Mainsfield Oil via online
- Follows troubleshooting guide
- Informs operations analyst of defect
- Returns defected equipment to Zonar
- Receives and installs replacement equipment
- Contacts operations analyst to obtain new Zonar ID number
- CSC inputs Zonar ID number in Compass
- Complete manual expense form or submit electronic expense form in iExpense to corporate
- Oil changes
- Annual Inspections
- Tire changes
- Brake Jobs
- Seat Repairs
- Lights Repairs
- Transmission Repairs Diagnostic Equipment
- Advanced Diagnostics and Repairs
- Parts Requisitions
- Parts Approvals
- Inventory and Parts Room Management/Control
- State Regulations
- PM Compliance
- Maintenance Audit
- Fuel Inventory Management
- Work Order Entry
- Work Order Completion
- Work Order Close Outs
- Work Planning
- Parts/Tools Room Organization
- Oil Storage/Disposal
- Snow Removal
- Fleet Shuttling/Movement