DISH is transforming the entertainment industry. The challenges are exciting, the atmosphere is high engery and the growth opportunities are endless. We compete to win, need to achieve and look for others who feel the same way.
• Founded in 1980
• Publicly traded Fortune 250 Company (ticker symbol DISH)
• Corporate headquarters located in Denver, CO.
• 20,000 employees in the U.S.
• Provides satellite TV to approximately 14 million subscribers
• Most award winning technology on the market
DISH is a Fortune 200 company with more than $15 billion in annual revenue that continues to redefine the communications industry. Our legacy is innovation and a willingness to challenge the status quo, including reinventing ourselves. We disrupted the pay-TV industry in the mid-90s with the launch of the DISH satellite TV service, taking on some of the largest U.S. corporations in the process, and grew to be the fourth-largest pay-TV provider. We are doing it again with the first live, internet-delivered TV service – Sling TV – that bucks traditional pay-TV norms and gives consumers a truly new way to access and watch television.
Now we have our sights set on upending the wireless industry and unseating the entrenched incumbent carriers.
We are driven by curiosity, pride, adventure, and a desire to win – it’s in our DNA. We’re looking for people with boundless energy, intelligence, and an overwhelming need to achieve to join our team as we embark on the next chapter of our story.
Opportunity is here. We are DISH.
A successful software engineer will have the following:
- Bachelors or Masters degree, preferably in computer science, computer engineering or other technical (STEM) field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Six months of software development experience, including educational experience, using Java, C#, Erlang or other related languages.
- Strong problem solving skills and willingness to take on difficult engineering challenges.
- Two or more years of experience in software development.
- Experience building scalable software in a distributed, service oriented architecture.
- The ability and discipline to write clean and highly performant code.
- The ability to participate in design discussions.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- The ability to work with minimal direction and complete tasks in a timely manner.
- The ability to keep abreast of technologies and paradigms and recognize when they can benefit the business and the software team.
- The ability to learn and work with various languages and platforms as needed.
- Understanding of distributed software systems, asynchronous messaging, and RESTful Web Services.
- Working knowledge of digital broadcasting technologies like DVB, MPEG2 or MPEG4.
- Familiarity with the agile software development methodology.
We are seeking a Software Engineer for our Cheyenne, WY or Superior, CO office.
Our team works closely with engineering and technical broadcast teams to learn their business, and with that knowledge, we create or enhance software systems that empower those teams. The software we provide is focused on the real-time monitoring of over 6000 TV channels and the systems involved in producing and delivering a DVB television service. As a teammate on our agile software team, you will participate in the design, creation, and support of these systems.
Examples of our systems include:
- The validation of 600 MPEG transport streams, including bit rate, CC errors, and other content issues.
- The remote monitoring of the RF satellite transports.
- The acquisition of our broadcast TV channels and its transport to remote monitoring centers.
- The tracking of outages and issues that occur on our broadcast channels.
Primary responsibilities fall into the following categories:
- Continually increase your knowledge of the uplink operations and seek out opportunities where our team can provide additional value.
- Work with a small team of software engineers to develop and maintain software solutions.
- Participate in design discussions, retrospectives, and empower the team to find solutions to complex engineering challenges.
- Participate in the development, deployment, and support of software to implement the solutions, including the on-call rotation.