The Fleet Driver and Senior Fleet Driver positions are responsible for safely and securely transporting CarMax vehicles to and from CarMax locations using company-owned transportation equipment. The CarMax Fleet Driver and Senior Fleet Driver maintain close relationships with other store departments and Home Office associates to ensure that the transportation needs are fulfilled.
The chosen candidate will be hired into Fleet Driver or Senior Fleet Driver, depending upon experience.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects transport equipment daily prior to each shift and completes the CarMax Driver's Daily Vehicle Inspection Report.
- Produces appropriate documentation (bill of lading) to support all transportation moves.
- Loads and secures vehicles on company-supplied assets (hydraulic-operated trailer) for transport.
- Transports and off-loads vehicles at appropriate locations.
- Stages delivered vehicles as designated by management at location.
- Completes bills of lading ensuring store associate at the receiving location signs for receipt of all vehicles.
- Submits completed bills of ladings to manager at the end of each day.
- Uses electronic on-board recorder to maintain logs to ensure proper compliance with all Department of Transportation (DOT) rules & regulations.
- Maintains all manufacturers’ suggested scheduled maintenance as described by owner's manual for the transport equipment.
- Reports any and all damages to transport equipment or vehicles being transported.
- Maintains interior and exterior cleanliness of transport equipment clean at all times.
- Safely drive commercial motor vehicles to transport CarMax property for sale or to otherwise further CarMax's business interests.
Additional Duties May Include:
- Participation in various meetings
- Senior Fleet Drivers may also
- Participate in Senior Fleet Driver roundtable meetings and calls
- Train new Fleet Drivers
- Possession of a valid state issued commercial driver's license, Class A (CDL) and driving record with no more than 6 penalty points, as defined in the CarMax Driver Safety Evaluation Point System (DSEPS), within the last three (3) years.
- Pass a DOT certified medical exam.
- Adherence to all CarMax policies and procedures as described in the "Commercial Vehicle Driver Qualifications Policy", "Drug & Alcohol Testing Policy for FMCSA- Regulated Drivers", and “CarMax Fleet Operations Manual” documents.
- Demonstrated ability and proficiency operating a standard 10-speed transmission
- Ability to read, interprets, transcribe and/or manually enter data in order to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to repeatedly climb up on and descend down from transport equipment.
- Ability to lift objects that weigh as much as 50lbs.
- Ability to maintain physical balance to safely enter and exit transported vehicles, including, but not limited to vehicles located on the upper deck of the transport equipment.
- Ability to apply pressure to winch down transported vehicles during the loading process.
- Primarily working in an outdoor environment; may include working at times in noisy and/or inclement weather conditions.
- Extended periods of time sitting during driving transport equipment
- Flexible work hours with shifts that may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Wear CarMax-approved clothing (may be acquired through company) at all times.
- Follow all CarMax, O.S.H.A., and EPA standards including the use of Personal Protective Equipment, and proper waste disposal in required areas.
- Adhere to all CarMax policies including, but not limited to: Attendance, Asset Protection, Integrity, and Standards of Professional Appearance.