The Meat Clerk is responsible for assisting and servicing customers at the Meat
department. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as they are usually
working one on one with customers. He/she is responsible for following the customer
satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and
passionate. He/she wraps meat product to be placed in the display cases later. The
product must also be weighed and priced prior to being put out for sale. He/she must fill
products into the service case, self-service cases, and other display areas and may also
take down product at night. Meat clerks also do preparation of food products and work
with cooked and uncooked foods. This may include the use of knives and slicers. He/she
must maintain product quality by reviewing appearance, codes, and rotating product.
He/she must maintain the Meat area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner.
• This position reports to: Meat Manager
• Position(s) that report directly to this position: Full time clerks may supervise, train, and
develop part time clerks when assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment alone or with
other people in a cool/cold environment.
• Assist customers, process verbal orders (including weighing and pricing), and deliver
orders to customer from across the counter.
• Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the
customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer
• Must work quickly and carefully while stocking/wrapping items at a reasonable
• Visually identify product and PLU code; manually enter into the scale for pricing.
• Handle various raw meat products to wrap, price, and stock into display cases.
• Operate meat department equipment such as auto wrapper, scale, and slicer.
• Read display terminal and other documents when necessary.
• Lift and load product weighing up to 50 lbs.
• Retrieve product weighing up to 50 lbs. from the cooler to the prep room.
• Lift and load 5-40 lb trays/cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to stocking area.
• Take verbal orders over the telephone and write down pertinent information.
• Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including
greeting and thanking customers.
• Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Cut products with a knife. This requires repetitive motion and force on occasion.
• Prepare special customer requests.
• Lift and load product weighing up to 70 lbs.
• Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
• Cleaning, maintaining, and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
• Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
• The Meat Manager generally assigns the work.
• Meat clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing
any work that was not previously assigned.
• The Meat Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
• Meat clerk is responsible to wait on the customer and provide good customer service
including suggestive selling.
• Meat clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty.
• Meat clerks are responsible for knowing and understanding all Meat specific policies and
• Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
• Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Store Management
o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
• Must be at least 18 years old.
• Excellent customer service skills.
• On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
• Prior food handling experience.
• Prior meat cutting experience.
• Ability to work quickly and accurately.
• High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
• Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
• Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
• Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
• Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
• Meat clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
• Meat clerks work with knives.
• Meat clerks work with raw meat products.
• Meat workstations are cool/cold and may be wet.
• Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
• Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
• A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
• Associates in the Meat Dept. are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
• This may be a part time or full time position.
• This is considered an entry-level position.
• Significant Food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Meat clerks must have the ability to deal with some
potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in
a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and
responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time
the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its
representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old