Front End Manager (SWY)
Albertsons Safeway is working to become the favorite food and drug retailer in every market it serves. The organization includes 2,230 stores, 27 distribution facilities and 19 manufacturing plants with over 250,000 employees across 34 states and the District of Columbia. The company is privately owned with supermarkets across the country that includes: Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Randalls, Tom Thumb, Carrs, ACME, Jewel-Osco, Lucky, Shaw’s, Star Market, Super Saver, United Supermarkets, Market Street and Amigos.
Ensures that all customers receive fast, friendly, accurate checkout service by passionately implementing the spirit of customer first, second to none. Manages and schedules duties of Front End Clerks, Courtesy Clerks, Customer Service Clerks, Head Clerks, Bookkeepers and all other Front End Management. Oversees the completion of daily cash, balancing, reconciliation and payroll reports, while supporting store sales and overall operating plan.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Champions Company and Division customer service programs to meet or exceed Division customer service goals. Handles customer relations in a positive manner, including effective resolution of customer complaints. Promotes Company’s philosophy of personalized service.
• Provides fast, friendly, courteous and excellent customer services, handles customer relations, performs checking duties and supervisor functions on cash registers when necessary, and engages in suggestive selling and other sales techniques. Serve as overflow cashier as necessary.
• Directs and supervises front end activities including: monitoring customer traffic and service level, coordinates and implements front end and service programs, ensures cleanliness, safety and appearance of Front End physical area, and monitors inventories and ordering Front End supplies and merchandise. Ensures front end is operational and that it projects a positive image.
• Handles and is accountable for cash flow and controls including: safe transactions, issues and pick-ups, cash register tills, approving checks, rain checks and refunds, and monitoring checker money handling procedures. Handles scan system emergency procedures, UPC codes not on file, hard to scan UPC codes, scan pricing errors and system failures and other
• Assists with the interviewing and hiring of front end and courtesy clerks. Trains front end management, front end and courtesy clerks and monitors their compliance. Supervises employees assigned, makes recommendations for employment status changes and discipline to Store Director.
• Responsible for achievement of budget goals for labor, cash variation, check expense and supplies.
• Responsible for cost and quality control and maintaining a constant awareness of customer and employee safety.
• Enforces dress and grooming standards for all employees.
• Responsible for compliance to company policies, procedures and applications in the Front End.
• Responsible for performing all job duties and responsibilities safely, accurately and with honesty and integrity.
• Other necessary and required duties as directed or required.
PHYSICAL AND GENERAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Strong communication, leadership, team building and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain composure under pressure.
• Ability to deal with the public and project a positive image.
• Frequently lift and maneuver objects of varying dimensions and weights up to approximately 55 lbs.
• Ability to stand or walk for long periods of time. Ability to move quickly.
• Ability to operate and troubleshoot PCs and checkstand equipment such as printers, scales, public announcement equipment, scanners, and cash registers.
• Knowledge of interviewing techniques, basic employment law, computer software and the analytical ability to handle administrative details such as planning and scheduling.
• Ability to supervise. Ability to analyze and gather facts for recommending disciplinary action and make hiring decisions.
• A good understanding of Company practices and in-depth understanding of Front End policies and procedures, and the ability to judge and react to business activity.
• Mental alertness is necessary to ensure safe and accurate completion of work activities. Knowledge of product variety and perishability, safety and sanitation procedures, and department policies and procedures.
• Ability to present a positive image to the public.
• Exposure to potential hazards exists with respect to equipment and work aids necessary to perform job duties.
• Knowledge of basic mathematics and weights and measures.
• Working conditions consist of a temperature controlled store environment. Occasional exposure to outdoor environment with varying temperatures.
• Job responsibilities include tasks or duties that could affect the safety or health of the employee performing the task or others.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and skills required of personnel so classified.