Meat Manager (SWY)
Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,300+ stores. The Safeway family of stores and brands (collectively "Safeway") includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit, and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A MEAT MANAGER
As a Meat Manager, no one day is ever the same. This position allows you to be a cut above the rest by ensuring the day-to-day operations and sales of our meat department run smoothly. To be successful in this position, our Meat Manager is interested in our people (supervising, training, and scheduling), our products (cutting, trimming, and preparing our delicious high quality meats), and delivering customer service to earn the loyalty of the customers we serve. If this sounds like you, we invite you to join our team today!
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS**
• Provide high-quality customer service in accordance with Safeway’s customer service standards.
• Oversee operations and staffing of the Meat Department.
• Apply and enforce company policies and procedures, include those regarding food, employee and customer safety.
• Review reports and identify successes and opportunities.
• Schedule, supervise, train, and assign duties to meat cutters and meat clerks.
• Follow division guidelines for implementation of the merchandising program.
• Perform monthly inventory of sales floor and backroom.
• Maintain accurate inventory and record keeping.
• Suggest changes to inventory and pricing.
• Write meat orders for department.
• Check meat deliveries for accuracy and quality.
• Culls meat cases daily per division guidelines.
• Inspects displayed products for expired dates and removes them for distress.
• Follow division markdown program.
• Safely use grinder, tenderizer, saw, and knives to cut, trim, and prepare meat products.
• Perform and comply with internal and regulatory requirements regarding food safety (such as: daily temp /tare log checks).
• Make signs for displays as needed and ensures pricing integrity.
• Takes special orders from customers and provides special cuts.
• Adhere to uniform and grooming policy as defined within company policy.
The following describes the general qualifications and physical, sensory and mental abilities normally associated with performing the essential job functions of this position:**
• Knowledge of and ability to process different cuts of meat
• Previous experience as a meat wrapper/clerk, meat cutter
• Prior department operations and staff management experience
• Ability to operate saws, grinders, and other meat processing machinery
• Ability to use computer to check for communications, bulletins and access reports
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, and ability to read, retain and comprehend guidelines, policies and procedures applicable to the position
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work independently as well as within a large team
• Self-motivated and driven to increase knowledge of Safeway products and share that knowledge with Safeway customers
• Ability to provide regular and predictable attendance. (Safeway employees may be scheduled to work early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, and schedules may vary on a weekly basis)
• Ability to comply with workplace conduct standards
The following attempts to communicate the traditional physical demands associated with this position:**
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work day.)
• Squat/Kneel: Seldom
• Bend/Stoop: Occasional
• Lift/Carry: Continuous 1-35 lbs.
• Push/Pull: Occasional 1-35 lbs.
• Twist/Turn: Occasional
• Grip/Grasp: Continuous
• Reach: Seldom
• Stand/Walk: Continuous
Job duties and responsibilities may vary by location and employees may be assigned duties and responsibilities in addition to
those listed above.
** Safeway is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, Safeway attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.
SAFEWAY AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN US
Safeway has always been a people-oriented business, and thoughtful people practices remain a core element of our company’s philosophy. As friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy offering customers an exceptional shopping experience, we provide world-class customer service each and every day.
Safeway provides a variety of benefits including:
• Great pay
• Flexible schedule
• Opportunities for career development
• Health and welfare benefits for eligible employees
• Leisure time activity discounts
SAFEWAY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER