The Checker is responsible for scanning or entering manually into the terminal customers’ selected items and collecting payment for them. Checkers may be required to identify produce items. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is responsible for bagging groceries into either paper or plastic bags when necessary. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as they are usually the last associate that a customer would see during their shopping trip. He/she must also be careful not to overfill bags or damage any items purchased by the customer. Bags are then placed in a cart or may be handed directly to the customer when appropriate.
- This position reports to: Customer Service Manager (CSM), Asst. CSM, or CSR.
- Position(s)that report directly to this position: none
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Scan or manually enter UPC or PLU into the terminal the customers’ selected items repetitively at a rate of approximately 2 seconds per item
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Handle cash, credit cards, checks or other forms of payment appropriately (i.e.; coupons, vouchers, etc) count back change and give receipt to customer.
- Reading display terminal and other documents and writing when necessary.
- Identify produce, weigh if necessary and manually enter PLU into the terminal.
- Place items into paper or plastic bags.
- Work carefully and separate items (i.e.; cold, soft, detergents) when necessary
- Place larger items such as dog food, 12-30 pack beverages, etc. directly into a shopping cart after scanning.
- Place bags into a shopping cart after they are filled
- Lift and load 5-35 lbs into shopping carts
- Interact and communicate with the public in a courteous and professional manner including greeting and thanking customers
- Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Push loaded carriages of groceries to customer’s vehicle in various weather conditions
- Retrieve empty carriages (up to 5 at a time) from parking lot or surrounding neighborhood and return them to the storage area
- Sweep and clean up areas throughout the store or parking lot area as assigned by supervisor
- Clean workstation and fill bags when needed
- Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- The Checkout supervisor on duty generally assigns the work. There is usually a supervisor on duty in this department
- Checker should review and get approval from the Checkout supervisor on duty prior to performing any work that was not previously assigned.
- The Customer Service Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
- Time off requests should be made directly to the Customer Service Manager within the appropriate time constraints as dictated by the individual manager’s preference.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Responsible to “check out” the customer and provide good customer service.
- If a customer requests help with his/her groceries, the checker should let the Checkout supervisor on duty know, and help to find another associate to help.
- Checkers are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty
- Responsible for knowing and understanding all cash handling and other checker or checkout specific policies and procedures.
- Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
- Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Store Management
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- If under 18 years old, a work permit or educational certificate may be required
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Excellent customer service skills
- Prior cash handling experience
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with money and other methods of payment.
- High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week, consistent with child labor laws
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
- This position is generally a part time position
- Most associates in this position work between 8 and 36 hours per week.
- This is considered an entry-level position.
- Food safety awareness may be required in this position.
- It is important to understand that all checkers must have the ability to deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw's Supermarkets, Inc.
Browse similar jobs (732)
Waltham, Massachusetts 02452
Waltham, Massachusetts 02453