Cafe Senior Lead
We work hard. We have tremendous amounts of respect for each other and for what we do. We are progressive, open and evolving, but uncompromising in our commitment to quality. We are focused on sustainable growth and value everyone’s contribution and we also have lots of fun together. We are passionate group of folks; some might even say obsessive. No matter which team we’re on, we’re sourcing, roasting, tasting, testing, practicing and pushing ourselves to do it better. And we drink the best office coffee on the planet.
This position will involve working directly with Stumptown’s retail employees in a radical and professional manner. In addition to working directly with retail, this position is expected to communicate with and rely on retail management departments in order to provide an unsurpassed coffee experience. Our cafes are our showrooms for wholesale and our living rooms for the world to enjoy our coffee.
● Act as the service lead, ensuring customers receive an exceptional experience in service, speed, quality, cleanliness, and hospitality; serve as the face and voice of Stumptown.
● Assist retail manager in keeping café stocked, including placing accurate orders.
● Assist in managing the daily receipts and deposits and identifying discrepancies.
● Assist the Café Manager in effectively solving day to day issues and conflicts.
● Assist with café maintenance, including projects, chores and general upkeep.
● Assist in coffee integration, coffee availability and help manage café menus.
● Attend meetings and communicate effectively with management.
● Maintain extensive coffee knowledge; know origins and stories of coffees available; attend monthly trainings; stay informed of industry trends; assist with customer education.
● Maintain extensive coffee knowledge; know origins and stories of coffees available; stay informed of industry trends; assist with customer education.
● Complete a train the trainer program to become a certified Stumptown educator.
● Ensure consistency among all baristas on Stumptown’s coffee, espresso, milk techniques, and brew methods; Function as in-house QA, ensuring that standards are met with every drink that goes out.
● Implement a checklist of classes consistent with other markets for every new hire to work through; execute training support that allows for a barista to be bar-ready within 90 days.
● Act as the primary in-cafe person responsible for making sure equipment is calibrated appropriately and in good working order.
● Communicate with staff about sign up and details for coffee trainings; Ensure all employees sign up, attend, arrive on time, and act in a professional manner; Where applicable, administer coffee trainings from curriculum provided by the Retail Education Coordinator.
● Other duties as assigned
● Supervise and direct retail café employees in service and quality standards.
● Experience and proficiency with Stumptown espresso preparation standards
● Desire to educate others about our coffee
● Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for coffee
● Demonstrated ability to deliver customer service the “Stumptown Way”
● Great communication skills both with employees and customers
● People skills
● Problem solving and multi-tasking ability
● Familiarity with MS Office, spreadsheets, Google Docs and other computer tools
● Stand and walk—must be able to stand for shifts and move about the café
● Perform repetitive motion with the hands, wrists and forearms to operate espresso machinery
● Taste/Smell – ability to detect and perceive smell of coffee
● Talk/hear – frequently communicates with customers
● Carry weight, lift – lift up to 5 pounds frequently and up to 50 pounds occasionally
● Work is performed in the cafe
● The work environment can be noisy
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, genetic information, medical condition, veteran status, or any other class protected by local, state or federal law.
- Valid Driver’s License