PURPOSE OF POSITION:
• The Pharmacy Technician is responsible to assist the pharmacist(s) to prepare and dispense medications and for providing prompt customer service at the pharmacy. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. This includes answering telephones, taking prescriptions, filling prescriptions, labeling bottles, ringing up purchases, entering data into computers, and performing stocking duties as needed, among other duties. He/she must have excellent customer service skills and adhere to local, state, and federal laws, as well as Company policies and procedures.
- This position reports to: Pharmacy Manager, Pharmacist.
- Positions that report directly to this position: None
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment alone or with other people.
- Maintain the highest level of customer service while continuously monitoring and reacting to ever changing service and customer/patient needs.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment. This includes moving from one area of the pharmacy to another in quick fashion to process multiple priorities.
- Read prescriptions, label and fill according to physician’s instructions.
- Provide customer/patient with verbal counseling relating to the medication(s) provided to them.
- Effectively deal with difficult situations including but not limited to dissatisfied customers/patients or emergency situations.
- Answer multiple telephone lines in a courteous and professional manner.
- Read display terminal and various instructional signage in the pharmacy including bulletins and policy reminders.
- Interact and communicate with the public from behind the pharmacy counter in a courteous and professional manner including greeting and thanking customers.
- Process verbal instructions from customers/patients and Pharmacists.
- Visually identify various pharmacy items and ring up for customer/patient.
- Handle cash, credit cards, or other forms of tender appropriately. This includes the ability to count various denominations of cash and other forms of tender.
- Operate various pharmacy computer systems including input of data and sales terminal.
- Lift tills and supplies from locked safes and cabinets for opening and replace at closing.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct periodic reviews of work practices and provide information to Store or Pharmacy Management.
- Sweep/clean work area and fill supplies as needed.
- Inventory and order pharmaceuticals supplies.
- Review invoices and put away supplies.
- Stocking shelves and packaging promotional orders.
- Help customers find over the counter medications.
- Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- The Department Manager generally assigns the work.
- Pharmacy Technicians should review and get approval from the Pharmacist on duty prior to performing any work that was not previously assigned.
- Pharmacy Technicians must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
- The Pharmacy Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
- Time off requests should be made directly to the Pharmacy Manager within the appropriate time constraints as dictated by the individual manager’s preference.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Responsible to wait on the customer/patient and provide good customer service;
- Pharmacy Technicians are not to leave the pharmacy without notifying the pharmacist on duty;
- Responsible for achieving goals established by the Pharmacy Manager.
- Pharmacy Technicians are responsible to know, understand, and support local, state, and federal laws, in addition to department specific policies and procedures.
- Perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Customers/Patients o Supervisors o Subordinates o Co-workers o Store Management o Vendors o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Problem solving ability.
- Licensed as a pharmacy technician in the state.
- Some on the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Thorough understanding of local, state, and federal laws, as well as Company and Department specific policies and procedures.
- Good judgment, the ability to make sound decisions and to solve any problems arising in the course of performing the work of the Department.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand customers/patients needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of requests.
- High School graduate or currently enrolled in school.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
- Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- This position may be a part time or full time position.
- This is a specialized position and subject to transfer to other locations.
- Drug interaction awareness may be required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Pharmacy Technicians must have the ability to deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers or emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude all other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old