Assistant Crew Chief
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- The Assitant Crew Chief is responsible to assist the Grocery Manager by providing direct supervision of the overnight grocery, dairy, frozen foods, HBC, inventory control and overnight receiving operations and assuring that associates are following company policies and procedures including providing customer service when applicable. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is also responsible for achieving production and budget objectives. This position includes performing stocking duties as needed. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as he/she is the role model for other associates.
- This position reports to: Grocery Manager.
- Positions that report directly to this position: Overnight stock clerks, including dairy, frozen, HBC, and any other clerk working in the store overnight.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist Department Manager in all aspects of the overnight operation and supervision of the Department including, but not limited to: supervision of Department personnel; providing customer service; achieving sales, gross profit, labor, shrink and inventory goals set for the Department; product ordering, quality, presentation, merchandising, organization, pricing, stocking, shelf allocation, staffing, training, turnover and morale.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer, present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Assure that all Company and Department specific policies and procedures are adhered to on a regular basis.
- Perform job functions of other Department personnel in their absence and/or in addition to them.
- In the absence of the Department Manager, the Crew Leader may be in charge of the Department and perform the management functions of the Department.
- Effectively supervise 2 to 20 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Able to work overnight shifts to supervise various work crews.
- Operate various store computer systems.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Department Manager in conducting periodic reviews of work practices and providing information to Store Management.
- Assist the Department Manager in achieving other objectives including, but not limited to food safety, workplace safety, and company audits.
- Other duties as assigned by Department Management.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- Crew Leaders assign, review, and approve work of all clerks under their direct supervision.
- Crew Leaders must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
- Crew Leaders determine appropriate staffing levels for each shift based on business needs.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Make recommendations on staffing the Department.
- Assign work to, direct the work of and train Department personnel.
- Assist the Department Manager in completing performance appraisals on all Department personnel.
- Recommend discipline up to and including termination; to impose immediate suspension of Department personnel, subject to approval of the Department or Store Manager.
- Accept valid excuses for absences, tardiness or leaving early.
- Responsible for the overnight supervision of the entire store in the absence of or in addition to another Manager.
- Responsible for achieving goals established by the Store Manager and Department Manager.
- Responsible to know, understand, and support department specific policies and procedures.
- Ensure that associates are performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Take action on unsafe working conditions when appropriate.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
- Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner: o Customers o Supervisors o Subordinates o Co-workers
o Store Management o Vendors o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Problem solving ability.
- Some on the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Leadership qualities including, but not limited to: good listening skills; the ability to motivate others; respect for and tolerance of others; the ability to communicate pleasantly and effectively with customers, vendors, Store Management, other Store and Company personnel.
- Thorough understanding of Company and Department specific policies and procedures.
- Good judgment, the ability to make sound decisions and to solve any problems arising in the course of performing the work of the Department.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand customers needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of requests.
- High school diploma or better.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Crew Leaders usually work 40 hours a week.
- Crew Leaders usually work overnight hours.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Freezer conditions are generally very cold.
- Cooler conditions are generally cold.
- Requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
- This position is a full time position.
- This is a supervisory position and subject to transfer to other locations.
- Food safety awareness is required in this position.
- It is important to understand that all Crew Leaders must have the ability to deal with, and resolve, some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers, associate issues, or emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old