Primary Purpose of Position:
Under the direction of the Kitchen Leader, is responsible for the accurate, efficient and quality preparation of all food served to guests.
Performs all required duties to maximize guest satisfaction and quality work environment. The General Kitchen position is expected to be fully knowledgeable about all functions in their department.
- Prepares ingredients such as meats, vegetables and fruits by cutting, slicing, and portioning.
- Assures the cleanliness and sanitization of work area.
- Arranges ovens grill and other related equipment, and verifies cooking ranges are set at proper heat levels.
- Practices safe food handling and clean up.
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, walls, oven, grills, and refrigeration equipment.
- Promptly reports equipment and food quality items to management.
- Properly cooks all items on the menu by following standard recipes.
- Arranges uncooked food by placing on grills or fryers.
- Understands and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
- Monitors the time needed for each dish to cook and removes cooked dishes timely.
- Properly places food on plates/platters, ensuring it has been cooked per order, and appearance is aesthetically pleasing.
- Filters the fryers, restocks, cleans and sanitizes kitchen floors, ovens, grills, and other cooking equipment.
- Assists the Dish Attendant with washing and storing of dishes, flatware and glasses.
- Discards all trash in proper trash receptacles, and empties cans.
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safely and efficiently
- Memorize, record, and comprehend menu items, abbreviations, plate appearance, and portions
- Preferred previous experience in cooking, culinary arts, or other related fields
- Must be a 'team player' and be able to multi-task
Must be able to maintain a high degree of pace and intensity for an extended period of time
Physical Demands & Work Environment
- Environment includes working with cooking equipment and slippery walking surfaces (spills, grease, and debris)
- Good hearing, visual and speaking skills
- Ability to be on feet during entire shift
- Ability to stoop, bend, stand, kneel, crouch, twist reach, push, pull, climb stairs, climb/balance on a step stool/ladder and regularly lift and carry up to 30 pounds and occasionally lift up to 80 pounds
- Able to work in and tolerate a variety of conditions and temperatures for extended periods of time (heat, steam, and cold)
- Must be able to work around, handle, operate and control hot equipment and products in a safe manner
- Ability to handle sharp knives and cutting equipment using safety gloves
- Must be able to wear single use gloves when handling raw/ready to eat foods