Manager, Process Safety Management
This position is responsible for the regional/business-specific sites for development, implementation and ongoing/day-to-day support of Schwan’s Process Safety Standards, Process Safety Management (PSM) and Risk Management Plan (RMP), etc. to assure compliance with Schwan’s requirements, OSHA, EPA and local process safety requirements regulations (as required).
The PSM Expert is accountable for regional/business-specific performance within the overall team-based environment including both technical and behavioral competencies while maintaining the Schwan’s Company Visions and Values.
- Lead Process Safety Management (PSM) program implementation improvements through sharing and facilitating best practices among different plants and by creating the best means and/or channels for communications to serve this purpose.
- Lead/Support/Develop business specific standards/best practices and efforts as directed by Business and Corporate EHS.
- Train and strengthen plant PSM coordinators in their PSM related duties including PSM and business specific standards.
- Provide training to employees and contractors (as required) to assure understanding and compliance with Process Safety Standards and requirements of local process safety requirements. (PSM/RMP programs)
- Ensure plant PHA leaders are trained in proper PHA techniques and ensure plant PHAs are led by appropriately qualified personnel. Review results of all PHAs for quality and thoroughness.
- Assist plants in leading Process Hazards Analysis (PHA) for major risk projects by providing expert support in PHA methodologies.
- Provide support for risk scenarios requiring further assessment post PHA review as requested by plants.
- Support PSM Excellence implementation. Identify needs required to comply with PSM requirements.
- Assist site PSM coordinators with coordinating the ongoing maintenance of all Schwan’s Process Safety Standards and requirements of local process safety requirements (e.g. PSM/RMP programs)
- Develop a PSM self-assessment program.
- Track and follow-up of action items/completion to ensure timing solution of any findings from PSM audits, PHA studies and other PSM assessment activities.
- Report regional and corporate management track of improvements and activities performed by business/regional PSM initiatives.
- Assist the plants in their procedure development and provide direct support to their implementation efforts of new and existing standards and local process safety requirements (e.g., PSM/RMP programs).
- Assist plants in their Hazard Assessment (Off-Site Consequence Analysis) modeling in accordance with local requirements (as required).
- Participate in select Pre-Startup Safety Reviews (PSSRs) prior to startup of new or modified processes or equipment or after extended shutdown of equipment. Periodically review site PSSRs for quality and completeness.
- Support EHS through the review and assessment of capital projects for PSM related requirements.
- Participate in Process Safety Event investigations/root cause analysis to provide guidance to all plants. In conjunction with site management teams, track progress of corrective actions where business wide issues are identified.
- Coordinate Safety Alerts and other company wide initiatives for their respective plants.
- Provide guidance and assist in the implementation of the Emergency Response Plan for the facilities.
- Evaluate events and operational results and support the revising / updating of site policies, procedure revisions, and training to address process safety related findings.
- Provide leadership and guidance for local process safety requirements (e.g.,PSM/RMP programs) to ensure compliance and consistency across plants.
- Support plants when interface is required with local regulatory agencies as it relates to Process Safety Management.
- Provide evaluations and progress reports of ongoing programs to management as required.
- Regularly consult with other experts and PSM best practices outside Schwan’s within the region or business (e.g., benchmark what we are doing with respect to others, learn from best practices in the process industry and understand trends).
- Monitor regulatory changes, publicly available information, and significant incidents at other cold storage warehouses or food manufacturing locations for learning and sharing within Schwan’s.
- Participate on teams responsible for implementing new products and processes
- Travel 50-75% of time, to Schwan's Manufacturing locations that have ammonia systems.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering/Safety / Environmental / Safety Science or related area
Years of Experience: Minimum 10 years plant experience with a broad technical understanding of plant operations.
- Detailed knowledge of State/Federal EPA and OSHA (PSM, RMP, REGAGEP) compliance requirements, and of regulatory requirements, procedures and legislative processes.
- Trained PHA Facilitator/Leader. Experience in implementing safety programs in manufacturing and agricultural environments;
- Ability to facilitate, direct and motivate employees and organize and coordinate various safety training activities;
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Proven ability to lead teams, influence operations, and build consensus opinions.
- Effective presentation/training/facilitation skills.
- Trained in incident investigation and Root Cause Analysis techniques.
- Understands principals of emergency response.
- Relationship building abilities with the regulatory community is desirable.
- Good organizational and writing skills necessary to track and document PSM program progress across many plants.
- Able to travel to other facilities as necessary.
The employing subsidiaries of Schwan’s Company are Equal Employment Opportunity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to disability, age, race, color, religion, gender, vet status, national origin or other protected class.
Req #: 17006962