Senior Communications Coordinator - Heavenly & Kirkwood Mountain Resorts
Reach Your Peak at Vail Resorts. You're someone who pushes boundaries and challenges the status quo. You're brave, ambitious and passionate in everything you do. And we want you on our team. Pursue your fullest potential and never settle in the quest to deliver extraordinary guest service. Join one of the world's most innovative companies and re-imagine a mountain resort experience with us. Welcome to Vail Resorts. Reach Your Peak.
Sr. Communications Coordinator – Heavenly and Kirkwood Mountain Resorts
Job Summary: The Senior Communications Coordinator is a key member of Heavenly’s and Kirkwood’s Communications and Marketing team and aids in protecting the brand and proactively promoting Heavenly and Kirkwood and all of the Company’s ancillary businesses to drive bottom-line revenue for the resort, including daily lift tickets, season pass, ski school, F&B, etc. Primary responsibilities include proactive media pitching, planning and executing media trips, Key Performance Indicator (KPI) tracking, internal communications via the employee newsletter, and crisis communications.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Aid the Senior Communications Manager and Senior Communications Specialist in ensuring messaging alignment with Marketing and Corporate Communications, providing guidance and talking points to COO for external communications and strategically promoting brand message in target media outlets.
- Author regional and corporate press releases, resort tip sheets, media pitches and newsletters.
- Edit and proofread written materials for quality and adherence to messaging and APA style guidelines.
- Build and maintain on-going media lists, media visit itineraries and editorial calendars.
- Foster media relationships and develop new media relationships through on-going media outreach including fulfilling in-bound media requests and proactively pitching media.
- Assemble weekly coverage/KPI reports.
- Handle daily local, regional and national media inquiries and serve as a secondary spokesperson for resort.
- Manage the employee and resort newsletters.
- Able to make decisions on the go to protect the resort and Company brand, its assets and visiting media.
- Oversee the Communications department when the Sr. Communications Manager or Sr. Specialist are off-site or on their days off.
- Comfortable on-camera and ready to present a persona aligned with Heavenly’s and Kirkwood’s established media brand, demeanor and energy.
- Assist in multi-resort or corporate initiatives and events.
- Assist in on-mountain photo and video shoots (with Specialist/Manager approval).
- Assist in facilitation of interviews with functional experts at Heavenly and Kirkwood and provide appropriate messaging and preparation to interviewees.
- Build strong working relationships across the resort, multi-resorts and Company.
- Handle departmental contracts and department purchase orders.
- Assist in crisis communications scenarios when directed by Specialist/Manager.
- Represent Heavenly and Kirkwood during travel to key markets.
- Work closely to provide PR counsel to resort team members.
- Provide administration including meeting deadlines, troubleshooting problems, attending and recording meetings.
- Adaptable to new platforms and programs.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Intermediate* skier / snowboarder – You will be required to complete a ski/ride test upon hire. *Can confidently ski/ride blue square terrain.
- Four-year college degree in Communications, Journalism or a related field, or the equivalent job-related experience or training.
- Minimum of three years of public and media relations experience.
- Knowledge of LiveStream and Online video streaming technologies.
- Knowledge of social media platforms: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc.
- Knowledge of Adobe Cloud products & programs: PremierPro, Photoshop, AfterEffects, InDesgin etc.
- Knowledge of GoPro, Nikon and Cannon camera applications, usage and care.
- Willingness to work holidays and weekends, with flexibility to attend night-time events.
- Experience in crisis communications – preferred
- Background in communications, marketing or journalism - preferred
- Ski industry experience – preferred
Important note: a resume, cover letter and writing sample are a required portion of this application. Your application will not be considered if these are not included.
About Heavenly Mountain Resort
High above the sapphire-blue waters of Lake Tahoe, Heavenly Mountain Resort is one of the most unique mountain resorts on the planet. With 4,800 acres of off-the-grid terrain and incredible views of Lake Tahoe combined with high-energy on-mountain experiences and nightlife, Heavenly truly offers a resort experience like no other. Heavenly is a subsidiary of Vail Resorts, Inc., the leading mountain resort operator in the United States. skiheavenly.com.
About Kirkwood Mountain Resort
Kirkwood is for those that embrace the big mountain lifestyle and are as passionate about skiing and riding as they are about creating amazing experiences for our guests. Magical, raw, expansive and remote…Kirkwood is the stuff of legend. We’re famous for legendary snowfall, challenging inbounds terrain, backcountry guided tours and premier avalanche education programs. Those that come here come for an adventure unique to Kirkwood!
Kirkwood is for those that embrace the big mountain lifestyle and are as passionate about skiing and riding as they are about creating amazing experiences for our guests. Magical, raw, expansive and remote…Kirkwood is the stuff of legend. We’re famous for legendary snowfall, challenging inbounds terrain, backcountry guided tours and premier avalanche education programs. Those that come here come for an adventure unique to Kirkwood! Join our close-knit team working at one of the most stunning alpine resorts in the country.
Vail Resorts is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
Requisition ID 145022