Customer Service Rep.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
• The Customer Service Representative (CSR) is responsible to assist the Customer Service Manager (CSM) and Assistant CSM by providing direct supervision of checkout operations including providing customer service and assuring that associates are following company policies and procedures. He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. This position includes performing checker and bagger duties as needed. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as he/she is the role model for other associates. This position may also include general supervision of the Service Desk in the absence of the CSM or Assistant CSM.
- This position reports to: Customer Service Manager (CSM), and Assistant CSM.
- Positions that report directly to this position: Baggers, Checkers, Bottle Clerks, Service Desk Clerks, and any other clerk working in the Checkout or Service Desk.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform the Essential Job Functions of Checkers and Baggers.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Effectively supervise 2 to 30 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Maintain the highest level of customer service while continuously monitoring and reacting to ever changing service and staffing needs.
- Handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Effectively deal with difficult situations including but not limited to dissatisfied customers or emergency situations.
- Monitor various Company policies and procedures in a fast paced environment.
- Solve problems, both technical and interpersonal.
- Handle cash, credit cards, or other forms of tender appropriately.
- Operate various store computer systems.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform Additional Job Functions of checkers and baggers.
- Perform Service Desk Clerk job functions.
- Assist CSM to determine appropriate staffing requirements.
- Assist CSM to develop associates including training and monitoring of associates.
- Assist CSM by performing internal audits of the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- Customer Service Representatives assign, review, and approve work of baggers, checkers, and service desk clerks under their direct supervision.
- Customer Service Representatives should take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
- Customer Service Representatives determine appropriate staffing levels based on business needs during their shifts by opening and closing lanes and by adding or reducing staff as needed.
- The Customer Service Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Responsible for the supervision of the checkout and service desk operations in the absence of or in addition to the CSM and/or Assistant CSM.
- Responsible for achieving goals established by the CSM with regard to labor costs, productivity standards, supply costs, and cash handling.
- Make decisions with regard to staffing needs, customer service, and recommend disciplinary action.
- Direct the work of checkers, baggers, and service desk clerks when assigned.
- Responsible to know and understand all cash handling and other checker or checkout specific policies and procedures.
- Ensure that associates perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Take action on unsafe working conditions when appropriate.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Customers o Supervisors o Subordinates o Co-workers o Store Management
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 17 years old.
- Must have been trained as a bagger.
- Must have been trained as a checker.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Problem solving ability.
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand customers needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of requests.
- Prior cash handling experience.
- Ability to work quickly and accurately with money and other forms of tender.
- High school diploma or better.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
- Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
- This position is may be a part time or full time position.
- This is considered a supervisory position.
- Food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Customer Service Representatives must have the ability to deal with, and resolve, some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers or emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.