Assistant Manager of Hotel
Provide guests with a quality, consistent, safe and friendly hotel experience which exceeds their expectations. Manage the day-to-day operations of the Front of House including front desk, bell, valet, concierge, PBX and night audit. Maintain an active presence at the front desk where at least 50% of the work week exists in the front of house. Assist in other areas when needed. Directs, implements, and maintains the service standards. Hires, trains, and retains a highly motivated staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
STANDARDS AND POLICIES:
- Ensure the safety of guests and associates. Be familiar with hotel emergency procedures and provide calm, reassuring assistance to guests and fellow associates in the event of an emergency. Assess safety procedures and update as necessary.
- Understand and adhere to environmental standards set by the hotel
- Understands and adheres to the Ponte values and service standards.
- Perform any other duties as requested by the Hotel Manager
- Diplomatically and effectively handle all guest complaints, including difficult and unusual occurrences. Ensures guests are satisfied with outcome.
- Be familiar with hotel information necessary to enhance customer satisfaction, including rate structures, specials and restrictions, room types and suites available, and hotel services including costs and location.
- Verify status of rooms to ensure they are ready for check in. Communicate with Housekeeping and Maintenance for any discrepancies.
- Coordinate daily room assignments according to special events, hotel occupancy, guest requests, etc.
- Inspect VIP rooms.
- Ensure 'Special Event' Bride and Groom rooms are reserved according to contract. Ensure special requests are confirmed.
DEPARTMENT STAFFING, TRAINING AND MANAGING:
- Coach and counsel associates. Responsible for all documentation of performance problems and follow up on such counseling’s.
- Responsible for recommending terminations and participation in such termination meetings.
- Develop and maintain training program and train Guest Service Supervisors to properly onboard new associates. Ensure associates have met standard based on graded assessments.
- Develop and maintain concierge information to ensure associates may utilize the appropriate resources when assisting guests.
- Ensure that all staff members are kept informed of property activities and status changes.
- Maintain a professional working relationship and promote open lines of communication with other managers, employees and all other departments.
ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGERIAL:
- Prepare agenda for and execute associate staff meetings.
- Fill in where needed to maintain service standards and efficient operations.
- Participate in Management Meetings as needed.
- Complete monthly safety inspections and make corrections as necessary.
- Monitor quality and standards by participating in periodic overnight stays. Provide feedback and suggestions.
- Review Group Resumes and communicate with sales and marketing regarding groups. Ensure Front Desk Associates are informed of group needs and prepared for group arrivals and departures. Ensure labor schedule is focused around group.
- Know Housekeeping Department’s basic functions. Step in to inspect rooms as needed.
- Reconcile and confirm Online Travel Agent (OTA) reservations and verify billing is correct, submit to Hotel Manager for invoice approval. Ensure reservations are coded properly to ensure proper accounting of rates and OTA type.
- Contribute to and attend weekly operations meeting.
- Create associate work schedule based on labor budget and forecasted occupancy.
- Be familiar with corporate accounts and ensure reservations and billing are set up appropriately.
- Create associate work schedule based on labor budget and forecasted occupancy
- Create and implement special packages in collaboration with Hotel Manager and Marketing Manager. Build package in to PMS and monitors its availability.
- Review time cards and labor reports. Submit to accounting weekly. Ensure labor hours and associate scheduling meet labor laws.
- With guidance from Hotel Manager, monitor room rates and availability and make changes where needed (i.e. removing 2-night stay requirements and restricting discounts as needed).
- Actively look for ways to improve operation and guest satisfaction, focusing on excellence. Propose a concise plan of action for improvements and implement with approval from Hotel Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to provide direction to associates and treat all associates and guests in a respectful manner.
- Strong ability to multi-task, teach and deliver high levels of customer service.
- Exhibits integrity (honesty and truthfulness) and takes responsibility for own actions.
- Has attention to detail.
- Has natural instincts and insight for finding the best solution to unclear situations.
- Courteous and has the ability to smile spontaneously.
- Must have a minimum of three years of hotel experience.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of management experience.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have exceptional grooming standards that are consistent with company guidelines.
- Must be outgoing and able to approach guests and initiate conversation and actively connect with others.
- Energetic and takes initiative.
- Ability to make quick and sound decisions.
- Computer skills with Microsoft Word and Excel.