PURPOSE STATEMENT: To provide courteous service to customers in addition to quick and accurate checkout of purchases.
SIGNIFICANT JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To provide excellent customer service by smiling, greeting and thanking all customers.
- To process customer purchases quickly and accurately.
- To respond to customer questions/requests and explain store policies in a courteous manner.
- To prevent loss of money and merchandise through removal of bottom-of-cart items, careful product handling, completion of price checks or not-on-file or mismarked items, correct identification of produce, counting of money, and accurately using store procedures for the acceptance of coupons and checks.
- To bag customer purchases quickly, ensuring that the bags are not overloaded and the merchandise is not damaged.
- To clean check-stand area by sweeping floors, cleaning check-lanes, registers and scales.
- To assure the safety of self, customers and co-workers by understanding and practicing store safety rules and notifying a supervisor of any potential hazard immediately.
- To understand the operation, safety requirements and restraints of an electronic cash register, scanner, scale and intercom system.
- To perform miscellaneous tasks assigned by supervisors and managers, substituting for absent workers and performing any additional tasks necessary to provide products and services to customers during peak periods of business.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Cashiers report directly to the Customer Service Manager or Store Manager.
- Basic mathematical ability (add, subtract, multiply, divide). Able to count and verify customer change, checks, WIC size/count, and coupons.
- Ability to give/receive complex verbal instructions/descriptions to/from supervisors/co-workers concerning store polity/procedures and use of equipment.
- Ability to pass pre-employment drug screen.
- A stable work and educational history.
- The ability to read and write English. Able to read instructions, labels, printed paper and forms.
- Ability to make judgments concerning customers and the checkout of purchases.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience in a related type of job.
- Prior experience operating a cash register, scale, intercom.
TASKS OF THE JOB -- This position generally involves:
- To complete grocery/produce price check in aisle, approximately 75 yards.
- To remove bottom-of-cart items, approximately 25 feet.
- To end of check-lane to bag purchases, approximately 15 feet.
- To return "go backs" and "face"/clean/stock shelves, approximately 75 yards.
- Work on tile or concrete for duration of shift.
- Unload customer purchases from and to cart, 10 to 15 lbs. each.
- Move a maximum of 40 lbs. from 6 inches to 48 inches.
- Move a maximum of 40 lbs. up to 15 feet.
- Pick up items from floor/case/shelf/cart.
- Attain merchandise on the top of grocery shelves, approximately 84 inches from the floor.
- Attain merchandise on the check-lane, cart, and to clean check-stand/belts/equipment.
- Operate cash register keys.
- Handle cash, checks, WIC vouchers, credit/debit and EBT transactions
- Grasp and handle wet/cold/hot grocery products.
- Recognize merchandise, customers, scanner light, amount tendered, cash, checks, EBT cards, credit/debit cards, WIC vouchers, coupons, shelf tags and signs.
- Perceive color difference in produce/grocery items.
- Respond to customer and coworker questions and responses.
- Recognize the "beep" from scanners.
- Use the intercom system.
- Identify labels, signs, tags, ads, checks, WIC vouchers, numbers and cash register keys.
Inside work with variations in heat/cold/dust/humidity caused by the opening of store entrance doors.
- The employee will not use drugs or alcohol on the job.
- The employee will not create a direct threat to the health and safety of others on the job.