PURPOSE OF POSITION:
• The Evening/Relief Manager is responsible to assist the Store Director and Assistant Store Director in their absence, or in addition to them, and is directly responsible for the operation of the entire store generally during, but not limited to, the evening hours. He/she is responsible for modeling the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate.
- This position reports to: Store Director.
- Positions that report directly to this position: Department Managers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Store Management in all aspects of the operation and supervision of the Store including, but not limited to: supervision of Store personnel; providing customer service; achieving sales, gross profit, labor, shrink and inventory goals set for the Store; product ordering, quality, presentation, merchandising, organization, pricing, stocking, shelf allocation, staffing, training, turnover and morale.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Assure that all Company and Department specific policies and procedures are adhered to on a regular basis.
- Perform job functions of Department Managers in their absence and/or in addition to them.
- In the absence of the Store Director and/or the Assistant Store Director, the
Evening/Relief Manager is in charge of the Store and performs all management functions of the Store.
- Effectively supervise 10 to 100 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Operate various store computer systems.
- Must be available to work 40 hours per week at peak business times.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Store Management in conducting periodic reviews of work practices and providing information to District Manager.
- Assist the Store Management in achieving other objectives including, but not limited to food safety, workplace safety, and company audits.
- Other duties as assigned by Store Director or Assistant Store Director.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- Evening/Relief Managers assign, review, and approve work of all associates under their direct supervision.
- Evening/Relief Managers must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
- Evening/Relief Managers determine appropriate staffing levels based on business needs during their shifts by adding or reducing staff as needed.
- The Evening/Relief Manager generally reviews work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Make recommendations on staffing the Store; interview and recommend hiring of some Store personnel;
- Assign work to, direct the work of and train Department Management;
- Assist the Store Management in completing performance appraisals on all Department Management;
- Recommend discipline up to and including termination; to impose immediate suspension of Department Management and/or associates, subject to approval of the Store Director.
- Authorize and assign overtime;
- Accept valid excuses for absences, tardiness or leaving early.
- Responsible for the supervision of the entire Store in the absence of or in addition to the Store Management.
- Responsible for achieving goals established by the Store Management.
- Responsible to know, understand, and support Company policies and procedures.
- Ensure that associates perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Evening/Relief Managers must take action on unsafe working conditions when appropriate.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
• Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Customers o Supervisors o Subordinates o Co-workers
- Store Support Center Management
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Problem solving ability.
- Experience in Department Management or equivalent.
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Leadership qualities including, but not limited to: good listening skills; the ability to motivate others; respect for and tolerance of others; the ability to communicate pleasantly and effectively with customers, vendors, Store Support Center Management, other Store and Company personnel;
- Thorough understanding of Company and Department specific policies and procedures.
- Good judgment, the ability to make sound decisions and to solve any problems arising in the course of performing the work of the Store
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand customers needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of requests.
- High school diploma or better.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Evening/Relief Managers usually work 40 hours a week.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Requires problem-solving skills.
- Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
- This position is a full time position.
- This is a supervisory position and subject to transfer to other locations.
- Significant food safety awareness is required in this position.
• It is important to understand that all Evening/Relief Managers must have the ability to deal with, and resolve, extremely difficult situations (including emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old
Browse similar jobs (420)
Brockton, Massachusetts 02301