Assistant Customer Service Manager
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- The Assistant Customer Service Manager is responsible to assist the Customer Service Manager (CSM) by providing direct supervision of the checkout and service desk operations including providing customer service and assuring that associates are following company policies and procedures (including adherence to applicable local, state, and federal laws). He/she is responsible for following the customer satisfaction behaviors, to include being friendly, responsive, knowledgeable and passionate. He/she is also responsible for achieving production and budget objectives. This position may include performing checker, bagger, and service desk duties as needed. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as he/she is the role model for other associates.
- This position reports to: Customer Service Manager (CSM).
- Positions that report directly to this position: Baggers, Checkers, Service Desk Clerks, Customer Service Representatives, and any other clerk working in the Checkout or Service Desk.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Department Manager in all aspects of the operation and supervision of the Department including, but not limited to: supervision of Department personnel; providing customer service; achieving sales, revenue, labor, shrink, bag/supply costs and over/short goals set for the Department; product ordering, quality, presentation, merchandising, organization, pricing, stocking, shelf allocation, staffing, training, turnover and morale.
- Assist in increasing sales by utilizing the five steps of retail selling – Connect with the customer; qualify the customer; present solutions; closing the sale and create a customer for life.
- Assure that all Company and Department specific policies and procedures are adhered to on a regular basis.
- Perform job functions of other Department personnel in their absence and/or in addition to them.
- In the absence of the Department Manager, the Assistant Department Manager is in charge of the Department and performs the management functions of the Department.
- Effectively supervise 2 to 90 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Operate various store computer systems.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist the Department Manager in conducting periodic reviews of work practices and providing information to Store Management.
- Assist the Department Manager in achieving other objectives including, but not limited to food safety, workplace safety, and company audits.
- Other duties as assigned by Department Management and/or Store Management.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- Assistant Department Managers assign, review, and approve work of all clerks under their direct supervision.
- Assistant Department Managers must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
- Assistant Department Managers determine appropriate staffing levels for each shift based on business needs.
- The Assistant Department Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Make recommendations on staffing the Department; interview and recommend hiring of Department personnel;
- Assign work to, direct the work of and train Department personnel;
- Assist the Department Manager in completing performance appraisals on all Department personnel;
- Recommend discipline up to and including termination; to impose immediate suspension of Department personnel, subject to approval of the Department or Store Director;
- Schedule work hours and time off for Department personnel;
- Authorize and assign overtime;
- Accept valid excuses for absences, tardiness or leaving early.
- Responsible for the supervision of the entire department in the absence of or in addition to the Department Manager.
- Responsible for achieving goals established by the Store Director and Department Manager.
- Responsible to know, understand, and support department specific policies and procedures.
- Ensure that associates perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Take action on unsafe working conditions when appropriate.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
- Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Customers o Supervisors o Subordinates o Co-workers o Store Management
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Problem solving ability.
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Leadership qualities including, but not limited to: good listening skills; the ability to motivate others; respect for and tolerance of others; the ability to communicate pleasantly and effectively with customers, vendors, Store Management, other Store and Company personnel;
- Thorough understanding of Company and Department specific policies and procedures.
- Good judgment, the ability to make sound decisions and to solve any problems arising in the course of performing the work of the Department
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand customers needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of requests.
- High school diploma or better.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Assistant Department Managers usually work 40 hours a week.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
- This position is a full time position.
- This is a supervisory position and subject to transfer to other locations.
- Food safety awareness is required in this position.
- It is important to understand that all Assistant Department Managers must have the ability to deal with, and resolve, some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers, associate issues, or emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.
- Minimum Age
- 18+ years old