The Produce Clerk is responsible for assisting and servicing customers in the Produce department. He/she stocks and replenishes the produce cases and counters. This includes the use of wheeled carts to transport product from the cooler/prep areas to the sales floor. He/she is responsible for rotation and culling of product when necessary. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as they may work one on one with customers. He/she must also take down product at night when necessary. Produce clerks also do some preparation of food products including trimming vegetables, salad bar preparation, fruit baskets, and cut fruit. He/she must maintain product quality by reviewing codes and visual observation of product. He/she must maintain the Produce area in a clean/sanitary and visually appealing manner.
- This position reports to: Produce Manager, Assistant Produce Manager
- Position(s)that report directly to this position: none
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work in a courteous manner in a fast paced multi functional environment with other people or alone.
- Work in a cool damp environment
- Load and unload product weighing up to 60 lbs. from pallets stacked to a height of 6 feet.
- Lift and load 5-60 lb cases onto stock carts and push or pull cart to stocking area.
- Remove product from cartons and replenish produce cases and counters with product.
- Must work quickly and carefully while stocking items at a reasonable expectancy (R/E).
- Visually identify product and read display signs
- Reading display information and other documents when necessary.
- Taking verbal orders over the telephone and writing down pertinent information.
- Prepare food product to be displayed in cases (salad bar, cut fruit, etc).
- Use a knife to trim product. This requires repetitive motion.
- Visually identify and remove poor quality product from counters
- Interact and communicate with others in a courteous and professional manner including greeting and thanking customers.
- Deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers).
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform floral clerk functions.
- Preparing special customer requests such as platters.
- Lift and load product weighing up to 70 lbs.
- Sweep, clean up, and sanitize workstation as assigned by supervisor.
- Cleaning and sanitizing equipment, utensils, and other supply items.
- Clean display cases and fill supplies when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- The Produce Manager or Asst. Produce Manager generally assigns the work.
- Produce clerk should review and get approval from his/her supervisor prior to performing any work that was not previously assigned.
- The Produce Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
- Time off requests should be made directly to the Produce Manager within the appropriate time constraints as dictated by the individual manager’s preference.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Responsible to wait on the customer and provide good customer service including suggestive selling.
- Have a good knowledge of product in the department.
- Produce clerks are not to leave their assignment without notifying the supervisor on duty.
- Responsible for knowing and understanding all Produce specific policies and procedures.
- Responsible for performing their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Any unsafe working conditions must be reported to the supervisor on duty immediately.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
- Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Store Management
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 16 years old.
- If under 18 years old, a work permit or educational certificate may be required
- Excellent customer service skills.
- On the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Prior food handling experience.
- Prior stocking experience
- Ability to work quickly and accurately.
- High school graduate or currently enrolled in school.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Part time associates usually work between 8 and 36 hours a week.
- Full time associates usually work 40 hours a week.
- Produce clerk requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- Produce clerk requires significant lifting and carrying of product.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Produce back room conditions are generally cool/cold and damp/wet
- Cooler conditions may be wet or dry, and usually cold.
- Freezer conditions are usually very cold.
- A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
- Associates in the Produce dept are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
- This may be a part time or full time position.
- This is considered an entry-level position.
- Significant Food safety awareness is required in this position.
- It is important to understand that all deli clerks must have the ability to deal with some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw's Supermarkets, Inc.
- Minimum Age
- 16+ years old
Browse similar jobs (5)
Springfield, Vermont 05156
Springfield, Vermont 05156
Springfield, Vermont 05156