Ozarks / Outdoor Education / Program Specialist / Seasonal
Under the guidance and supervision of the Outdoor Education Director, the Outdoor Education Program Specialist will be responsible for the delivery of Outdoor Education programs to guests of the YMCA of the Ozarks Camp Lakewood while exemplifying the Y values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
- Facilitates outdoor education and teambuilding programs at Camp Lakewood, and occasionally teambuilding programs for the Leadership Department.
- Works with the marketing department to ensure that all flyers that are visible to guests are up to the standards of all YMCA of the Ozarks marketing.
- Assists with theme weekends and Trout Lodge programming when necessary.
- Assists with the planning and facilitation of all community programs except for Day Camp, including but not limited to the Community Valentine’s Dinner, Spring & Fall Soccer, Halloween night, Senior Dinner as assigned.
- Delivers evening programs at Camp Lakewood and occasionally at Trout Lodge.
- Develops lesson plans for Camp Lakewood Outdoor Education programs.
- Follows staff policies and procedures.
- Enhances overall service given to all Trout Lodge and Camp Lakewood guests.
- Maintains positive working relationships with support services departments including group sales, Triangle Y Ranch, maintenance, food service, and housekeeping to provide for the comfort and safety of Trout Lodge guests.
- Provides the maintenance department with timely information pertaining to the upkeep, maintenance and operation of assigned program areas and related equipment.
- Reports damaged or lost program equipment in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Responsible for van maintenance and upkeep of all YMCA vehicles when in use.
- Participates in the implementation of YMCA management systems as they apply to World Service Drives, United Way Drives, Capital and Partner Campaigns.
- Supports marketing efforts in cooperation with the Director of Marketing to promote program participation and the use of the YMCA of the Ozarks by new conference, day and specialty groups.
- Attends and contributes to weekly program meetings.
- Participates in continuing training programs when offered and consistently works to add new and exciting programming to the Camp Lakewood Outdoor Education program.
- Performs other job related tasks as assigned.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgements, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks and plans work. Follows budgeting policies and procedures and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology. Has a basic understanding of the following: General Office Equipment, Computer Skills, Telephone Skills, Analytical Skills, Knowledge of Word & Excel, Newsletter Generation, Event Planning.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Understands the daily impact of the following and represents them in a positive manner: Action Oriented, Business Understanding & Vision, Customer Oriented, Delegation, Emotional Stability, Establishing Priorities, Flexibility, Independence & Decision Making, Innovation & Creativity, Integrity & Trust, Interpersonal Skills, Leadership, Listening Skills, Oral Communication Skills, Organization & Planning, Peer Relationships & Teamwork, Persuasion & Negotiation, Problem Solving, Results Oriented, Self-Starter, Stress Management, Valuing Diversity, Written Communication.
Ozarks - Outdoor Education Program Specialist
YMCA of the Ozarks
Must be at least 18 years old and be available August 8 - November 21, 2018
L eaving early or coming late is not an option as it puts us and the campers at a disadvantage.
Rate: $50 - $70/day + Meals & Housing
Education: This position requires previous experience in a resort or camp setting or a bachelor’s degree in a related field.
Experience/Skills: The OE Program Specialist must bring to this position an appropriate background of education and experience, which enables him/her to carry out the job segments listed for the position.
Licenses, Certifications or Special Skills: First-Aid/CPR, AED/Oxygen, Class E license
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Physical Mobility: walking, climbing, stairs, standing, kneeling, bending, leaning, stooping and sitting for extended periods of time.
- Physical Dexterity: ability to use telephone, computer, electronic equipment, exercise equipment, office equipment (fax, copier, stapler, etc.), tools and machinery as needed.
- Lifting: ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Sensory Requirements: ability to hear, listen, speak, smell, touch, taste, see and distinguish colors.
- Ability to drive vehicles (golf carts, car, van and/or bus)
- Ability to maintain alertness for several hours at a time.
- Ability to speak concisely and effectively communicate.
- Ability to tolerate extreme temperature conditions (heat and/or cold)
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical situations and physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency.