Nature & scope
Provides medication assistance to residents under the direction of the Resident Services Director and supervision of a licensed nurse.
Minimum eligibility requirements
- Has successfully completed a medication training course and maintains on-going training that meets all state requirements.
- Must have compassion for and desire to work with the elderly.
- Must have had previous experience working with the elderly.
- Must maintain eight hours of Alzheimer's and related dementia-specific training per year.
- Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Exceptional organizational skills.
- High level of ability in effective and succinct communication, written and oral with residents, families, staff, vendors and the general public.
- Must be capable of maintaining punctual attendance as scheduled Must meet all health requirements, including TB screening.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities (essential job functions), with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- Must have first aid and CPR training.
Joint decisions & duties between Medication Assistant and Licensed Nurse:
- Contribute information vital to the development and implementation of customized service plans
- Participate in care conferences as needed
- Contribute to departmental cost control by using supplies efficiently and avoiding waste Assist residents with medications in accordance with physician orders. Give and receive report from outgoing Licensed Nurse/Medication Assistant
- Count narcotics with outgoing licensed nurse/medication assistant. Model courtesy, tact, and professionalism for the team. Assure safety, cleanliness and appropriate lighting and temperature of the resident rooms and building.
- Chart medications in Medication Administration Record, document results of PRN medications, record missed medications & reason report any missed medications to the Licensed Nurse on shift as soon as possible.
- Answer and respond to calls/concerns from family members and physicians as directed.
- Review MARS after each cycle change.
- Transfer orders to the MAR as directed by Licensed Nurse.
- Help thin charts as directed by Licensed Nurse.
- Order medical supplies as directed by Licensed Nurse.
- Assist with vital signs and weights as directed
- Assist with MAR review and placement in binder of new MARS.
- Assist with ordering and re-ordering medications as needed. Advise Licensed Nurse of any change in resident condition, employee issues or family concerns.
- Assist Care Associates as needed.
- Meet paramedics on-scene with essential information regarding the resident when 911 is activated, notify physician, family member and Wellness Director.
- Make a significant contribution to the quality of life of the people who live in the community by initiating meaningful connections and interactions.
- Participate in daily standup meetings.
- Responsible for ensuring that all employees are providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Ensure compliance and understanding of all regulations regarding residents' rights
- May participate in in-service training as requested by the Wellness Director
- Attend training sessions as directed by supervisor.
- Follow & communicate company policies and procedures
- The job description provides a framework for the job, other duties may be assigned as necessary
Working conditions (travel, hours, environment)
- Has a do-what-it-takes frame of mind and operates with an ownership attitude.
- Move intermittently during working hours.
- Is subject to frequent interruptions.
- Is involved with residents, personnel and visitors under all conditions and circumstances.
- Is subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, personnel and visitors.
- Communicate with the medical staff, nursing personnel and other department supervisors and staff.
- Work beyond normal working hours, and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
- Is subject to call-back during emergency conditions (e.g. severe weather, evacuation, post-disaster, etc.).
- Attend and participate in continuing education programs.
- Is subject to injury from falls, burns from equipment, odors, etc., throughout the workday, as well as to reactions from dust, disinfectants, tobacco smoke and other air contaminants. Is subject to exposure to infectious waste, disease, conditions, etc., including TB and the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.
- May be subject to the handling of and exposure to hazardous chemicals.
- Medium work; ability to exert 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Experience extreme change in temperature at times and may be exposed to higher than normal temperatures while working.
- Must be able to move intermittently throughout the workday.
- Must be able to cope with the mental and emotional stress of the position.
- Must function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel and support agencies.
- Must be able to relate to and work with the ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset and, at times, hostile people within the community.
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of resident(s) during emergency situation(s).
OSHA category classification II:
- Potential for exposure to bloodborne pathogen
Note: All duties and responsibilities listed are considered to be essential job functions and requirements, and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Marginal functions of the position (those that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties) have not been included. However, the omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or logical assignment to the position.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee, and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the business and requirement of the job change. JB.0.00.LN
Posting ID: 544961671Posted: 2020-02-14