Adventist Health is more than an award-winning health system. We provide whole-person care to our communities and champion the greater good - from the operating room to the boardroom, we are driven by our unique passion to live God's love through health, wholeness and hope. From Oregon to Oahu, we have a calling to always do more. Now is your chance to apply your passion to our mission.
We're looking for someone to join our team as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist who:
Prioritizes and performs a wide variety of clinical laboratory tests on various biological specimens. Reviews, evaluates, documents and reports results. Preserves confidentiality of patients and follows lab safety and maintenance protocols. Trains and supervises trainees, laboratory assistants and clerks as needed.Essential Functions:
- Employs positive patient identification procedures to ensure the integrity of each specimen for pre-analytical, analytical and post-analytical testing. Performs proper specimen collection (including phlebotomy procedures as necessary), labeling, handling, preservation or fixation, processing or preparation, transportation and storage. Adheres to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and other patient confidentiality guidelines and regulations.
- Prioritizes lab orders according to type (STAT, ASAP, routine and timed studies) and performs various testing (including chemistry, coagulation, hematology, special chemistry, urinalysis, blood bank, serology, immunology, bacteriology, microbiology, referral testing and more) following prescribed quality assurance policies and procedures. Performs, evaluates and documents quality control checks. Reviews testing results evaluating validity of test results in comparison to anticipated results indicated per procedure manual.
- Reviews and evaluates the validity and accuracy of test results, recognizing the interdependency of tests, the physiological conditions affecting results, patient age and normal values, controls, linearity errors, instrument codes, delta checks and more. Correlates test results with diagnoses and questions incompatible results. Thoroughly documents and communicates test results, expediting all critical values and results to appropriate clinicians.
- Disposes of contaminated materials and equipment in accordance with policy and assures that work area is properly cleansed after each test. Performs equipment and instrumentation maintenance, troubleshooting and calibration as needed. Inventories and restocks reagents, calibrators, controls and supplies as needed.
- Participates in the collection and evaluation of data for Performance Improvement evaluations. Documents adverse events using incident reporting tool. Orients, instructs and supervises laboratory assistants and clerks as needed.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
You'll be successful with the following qualifications:Education:
- Bachelor's Degree in medical technology, clinical laboratory science, biological sciences, chemical sciences or allied health technologies or equivalent: Required
- Clinical laboratory experience: Preferred
- Valid Clinical Laboratory Scientist (CLS) license in state of employment: Required
- Current certification from American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) or National Credentialing Agency for Labs (NCA): Preferred
Adventist Health is committed to the safety and wellbeing of our associates and patients. Therefore, we require that all associates receive all required vaccinations, including, but not limited to, measles, mumps, flu (based on the seasonal availability of the flu vaccine typically during October-March each year), etc., as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter. Medical and religious exemptions may apply.
Posting ID: 547784649Posted: 2021-03-16Job Title: Clinical Laboratory Scientist