Job Details Provides excellence in patient care under the direct supervision of a licensed physician. Responsibilities:
- Implements patient care by continuously practicing within guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Adapts to changes in work environment and accurately performs medication administration as directed by physician.
- Maintains accurate and descriptive clinical documentation, making sure documentation is legible and concise.
- Demonstrates knowledge of medical records, authorization forms, laboratory requisitions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of disease process and therapeutics by recognizing changes in patient status and reports pertinent information to Charge Nurse and/or Physician.
- Recognizes and follows through appropriately with clinical intervention.
- Establishes priorities, assess workload and determine order of importance on a daily basis with minimal guidance.
- Obtains and documents patient's weight, vital signs and initial information for providers.
- Obtains miscellaneous specimens and prepares them for laboratory testing, and obtains and files laboratory reports as needed.
- Answers telephone in an appropriate and professional manner, takes accurate messages and promptly relays messages to appropriate individuals.
- Takes messages for prescription refills.
- Under the direction of the physicians, contacts pharmacy with prescription refills and records prescription in file.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be a graduate of an approved Medical Assistant Program. Computer literate.
- Military training as a Hospital Corpsman (HM), Combat Medic (68W) or Medical Service Technician (4N0X1) will be considered.
- Knowledge of Infection Control Practices.
- Demonstrates knowledge of age related concerns as observed through appropriate nursing interventions by the Physician or Manager and documentation.
- Is cognizant of the physical and general characteristics of the various age related groups as observed by the Manager or Physician.
Complexity of Work:
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification.
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMT) preferred.
- All employees are expected to meet the standards of performance outlined in the Organizational-Wide Competencies listed below as applied to the position:
- World Class Service Orientation: Includes attitude, behavior, interpersonal skill, and problem solving that enable an employee to respond to internal and external customer needs and expectations in a positive manner.
- Has verbal knowledge of Dr. Lower's Credo: A PATIENT is the most important person in this institution - in person or by mail. A PATIENT is not dependent on us - we are dependent of him. A PATIENT is not an interruption of our work - he is the purpose of it. A PATIENT is not an outsider to our business - he is part of it. A PATIENT is not someone to argue or match wits with. A PATIENT is a person and not a statistic. He has feelings, emotions, biases, prejudices and wants.
- It is our job to satisfy him. Adaptability: Includes teamwork and flexibility needed to fulfill job responsibilities including adapting to changes in work environment and accepting supervisory feedback.
- Efficiency and Effectiveness: Includes quantity and quality of desired work, as well as organization skills necessary to perform successfully.
- Essential Job Requirements: Includes adherence to all relevant policies, procedures, and guidelines affecting the work environment, including maintenance of required competencies and communication skills.
- Supervisory Responsibilities (if applicable): Includes overall accountability for assigned work group relative to operational goals, personnel requirements, and budgetary constraints.
- At least one (1) year clinical experience required if graduate from an approved medical assistant program or minimum 2 years experience if candidate does not have a medical assistant certificate. Clinical proficiency with phlebotomy required.
- Proficiency in EKG desired.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Essential Duties: This position requires knowledge of various aspects of patient care.
- Must possess good organizational skills to balance clerical and clinical duties.
- Work is heavy, constant lifting and moving patients, carrying equipment, supplies and material up to 50 pounds without help and over 50 pounds with the help of mechanical devices or other personnel.
- Stooping, pushing, and pulling when moving patient or equipment into position for treatment.
- Reaching for, handling, feeling and manipulation of equipment in position.
- Physical Duties: This position requires frequent walking, sitting, and standing.
- Frequent talking and listening when giving instructions and explanations.
- Frequent use of the phone, fax machines, and occasional to frequent use of the computer.
- Working Conditions: The majority of time the employee spends indoors in air-conditioned areas.
- Potential for exposure to blood and blood borne pathogens is significant.
- Clinical exposure to patients requires the use of personal protective equipment.
- This position requires high exposure to infectious wastes such as blood and bodily fluids that mandates the wearing of gloves, masks, gowns, and goggles as appropriate.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required for procedures.
Posting ID: 548103428Posted: 2021-01-15Job Title: Medical Assistant