Job Details Under the direction of the Director or designee, the RN, Emergency Department is accountable for delivery of cost effective, quality patient care, utilizing case management principles, the nursing process and knowledge from various health care disciplines. The RN, Emergency Department is responsible for providing nursing care to adult and sometimes adolescent patients based on established standards of nursing care, by managing assigned personnel and by collaborating with members of other health care disciplines. As expected for all employees, the RN, Emergency Department is responsible for promoting and demonstrating the nursing caring standards and guest relations standards in the fulfillment of the role.
- Completes Emergency Department Assessment Data Base upon patient arrival, inclusive of psychosocial, educational and age specific needs of patient/family.
- Completes ongoing assessment according to departmental/unit policies and recognizes significant changes in patient condition.
- Initiates an individualized plan of care based on assessment of patient needs and Emergency Department standards of care.
- Includes plan for appropriate teaching for patient/family.
- Reviews individualized plan of care and goals with patient/family.
- Reviews and documents care and discharge goals with physician and patient/family.
- Maintains a safe, comfortable environment for patients.
- Accurately administers and documents IVs and medications according to established standards of care and policies and procedures.
- Appropriately intervenes when changes in patient condition occur.
- Provides individualized and timely interventions in accordance with age specific needs and Department of Nursing/hospital policy.
- Accurately documents nursing interventions and patient responses, in accordance with policy.
- Serves as patient/family advocate to facilitate patient care, communication, and resolution of problems and ethical dilemmas.
- Evaluates current interventions and responses to plan of care.
- Evaluates and modifies plan of care as necessary, based on assessment by other disciplines and of the patient response to nursing interventions and established age specific standards of care/expected patient outcomes.
- Demonstrates flexibility in providing care as individual patient care and unit needs change.
- Establishes priorities for delivery of patient care to individual patients and for assigned group of patients.
- Collaborates with other health care team members to coordinate medical and nursing management of patient care.
- Participates in and documents discharge planning.
- Demonstrates familiarity of unit-based and hospital QI activities and participates in QI data collection.
- Collaborates with care management staff to facilitate quality patient care with effective use of resources throughout the continuum.
- Communicates information in shift and unit reports regarding patient plan of care and current outcomes.
- Using appropriate chain of command, communicates information in a timely fashion to Director, physician, or Nursing Coordinator regarding changes in patient condition and patient care/unit issues.
- Performs in a calm and professional manner during crisis or emergency situations.
- Demonstrates satisfactory performance/understanding of established and new routines, procedures, skills and equipment.
- Utilizes research findings in clinical practice and/or participates in research activities.
- Assigns/delegates appropriate patient care activities to other nursing staff based on patient needs and skill level/qualifications of staff members.
- Demonstrates ability to function in triage nurse positions according to established Emergency Department policy.
- Demonstrates ability to care for patient and family during emergency or crisis situations.
- Provides appropriate care for alleged rape/sexual assault and/or geriatric abuse victims utilizing established Emergency Department protocols.
- Demonstrates ability to initiate appropriate community referral for patients and families.
- Interacts in a professional manner with law enforcement, paramedic and other pre-hospital care personnel.
- Demonstrates ability to function in flow manager role according to Emergency Department policy.
- Assists in orientation of registered nurses and other hospital personnel.
- Participates in clinical instruction programs to provide learning experiences for students.
- Shares knowledge and expertise by participating in in-services and patient care conferences.
- Attends unit meetings, nursing grand rounds, and in-services/conferences identified or required for maintaining clinical competence.
- Serves on committees within the Department of Nursing, participates in nursing grand rounds presentations, and remains aware of activities of shared governance councils.
- Demonstrates understanding of emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation and internal/external disaster plans and procedures.
- Completes mandatory education and training in order to maintain organization and department specific competencies and requirements. Maintains applicable certification/licensure. Maintains BLS and ACLS. Obtains TNCC certification within one year of appointment and maintains currency.
- Satisfac torily completes Critical Care course as administered by Staff Development if new/transferred to ED.
- Follows hospital and department policies and procedures with special attention to attendance and punctuality, confidentiality, dress code and display of ID badge, and safety.
- Other duties as assigned
- Graduate from an accredited school of nursing that provides clinical experience under the supervision of qualified faculty. BSN preferred.
Complexity of Work:
- currently licensed as a registered nurse in the State of Ohio. BLS and ACLS required.
- Obtains TNCC certification within one year of appointment and maintains currency.
- Maintains competencies specific to patient population served.
- Satisfactorily complete AGMC RN and critical care orientation programs and Critical Care course.
- Satisfactorily completes/passes all mandated programs as required by policy and unit-based competencies/skills as required.
Physical Requirements:Personal Protective Equipment:
- Emergency Nursing Experience Required
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required
Posting ID: 548104194Posted: 2021-03-04Job Title: Rn