Position Overview:Job Summary:
As an Assistant Professor within the Department of Medicine, the incumbent is responsible for guiding the learning of students in classrooms and/or clinical settings. Faculty members are assigned to develop and teach the courses for which they are qualified by education, certification, and professional experience. Instructional duties include planning courses and curricula, didactic and clinical teaching, and evaluating courses. Related duties include academic advising of students, maintaining weekly office hours, attending meetings, and participation in special University events and ceremonies. Duties and Accountabilities:
An Asterisk (*) denotes an "essential job function" for ADA purposes. Teaching and Learning
*Develops instructional materials and student learning activities for didactic or clinical instruction based on program and course objectives and within the context of the program's philosophy.
*Collaborates with other faculty members to coordinate theory and clinical instruction to provide an optimal learning environment for students.
*Selects and uses a variety of situation appropriate teaching methods and strategies, including but not limited to:lecture, discussion, role playing, group activities, simulation, audiovisual and technical materials.
*Communicates effectively with students and peers in teaching course and clinical material and in the achievement of identified learning goals. 75% of effortEvaluation
*Provides regular and timely feedback to students, including the return of written assignments.
*Documents student performance deficiencies in writing to the student as soon as identified.
*Completes formative and summative evaluation reports on student achievement of learning objectives according to University policy.
*Evaluates courses and instructional performance annually and more often if needed. 10% of effort Academic Advising
*Is available during regularly posted office hours and by appointment to provide academic advising to students. 10% of effort Other duties as assigned
Responds to voice or e-mail messages within 48 hours.
*Maintains licensure/certification required for the teaching assignment.
*Arrives to classes and/or clinical rotations in a punctual manner.Notifies the CSPM Academic Office regarding illnesses/unavoidable absence in advance of course/rotation sessions.
*Attends meetings as appropriate for FTE.
Actively participates in course and curriculum development and accreditation activities.
Attends University or program ceremonies and other required events. 5% of effort Qualifications:Required Education and Experience:
Desired Skills and Abilities:
- A minimum of an earned doctoral degree in the discipline or in a closely related discipline.
- Clinical expertise in the clinical specialty area of the teaching assignment
- Publication record appropriate for this rank (refer to SMU Faculty Handbook) is required.
- Service to the University and one's profession appropriate for appointment at this rank.
*Physical Effort Required:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent interpersonal relationships.
- Calculates exam scores and grades.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Holds a current license to practice in California.
- Board qualified or board certified by the ABFAS
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. Clinical instruction positions require the employee to move with students around a clinical unit while caring for patients. The employee must be able to express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word and receive detailed information through verbal and written communication.
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence. Organization:
Samuel Merritt University Employee Status:
Regular Employee Referral Bonus:
Yes Position Status:
No Job Shift:
Day Shift Hours:
4 Hour Shift Days of the Week Scheduled:
Monday-Friday Weekend Requirements:
Part Time Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period:
40 Applications Accepted:
All Applications Accepted
Sutter Health Affiliates are equal opportunity employers EOE/M/F/Disability/Veterans