Overview Berry Global
Berry Global, headquartered in Evansville, Indiana, is committed to its mission of ‘Always Advancing to Protect What's Important.' With $13 billion in revenue for fiscal year 2019 on a combined pro forma basis from operations, Berry is a leading global supplier of a broad range of innovative nonwoven, flexible, and rigid products used every day within consumer and industrial end markets. Berry operates over 290 manufacturing facilities worldwide, on six continents, and employs over 48,000 individuals.
At Berry, we pursue excellence in all that we do and are always advancing to improve the way we work along with the products and services we provide. Our culture fosters trust and partnerships through appreciation, acknowledgement, and inclusion. At Berry, we are continuously improving to support our mission and exemplify our values of partnerships, excellence, growth, and safety. To learn more about Berry, visit berryglobal.com
Job Title: Plant Engineer (Manufacturing)
Reports To: Engineering Manager
This position will provide technical, hands-on engineering and project management support for manufacturing processes, building infrastructure and HVAC.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Others may be assigned.
- Support quality, productivity and safety goals
- Support building HVAC, compressed air and cooling tower systems.
- Optimize machine and process efficiencies
- Manage projects and make recommendations regarding new technology to improve product quality and productivity
- Lead and/or provide technical support for continuous improvement projects
- Analyze and design lean manufacturing cells using effective systems and simulation tools to optimize, use of space, equipment, material and personnel.
- Assist in developing plant layout in planning rearrangement of facilities, equipment and operations for better utilization of space.
- Work closely with research and development, quality assurance, operations and maintenance personnel to prevent problems with products and tooling/fixtures.
- Determine and eliminate root causes and diminish occurrences of defects in the manufacturing process.
- Maintain and troubleshoot multi-discipline machine technology to include mechanical, electrical, controls, PLCs, vision systems, and drives
- Support development and maintenance of new tooling, machines and high-speed production equipment
- Create training instructions and standard operating procedures for use in equipment implementation
- Train production and maintenance departments on use and maintenance of new equipment
- Ensure all manufacturing safety regulatory policies and procedures are implemented and maintained at all times.
- Stay informed concerning new manufacturing technologies and equipment in order to manufacture and reduce cost through efficiencies.
- Support all current and new product introductions.
- Manage vendors/subcontractors to ensure requirements of the job scope are accomplished and confirm that all procedures, policies and regulations are followed.
- All other duties, as assigned.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies
- Analytical - Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Technical Skills -Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Project Management - Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress;
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Flexibility: position supports a 24/7 manufacturing plant. Incumbent needs to be able to provide high level support & flexibility to meet plant needs.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Industrial Engineering or a related field.
- 5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment preferred.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma concepts
- Experience with AutoCAD and/or Solid Works applications.
- Experience with process engineering in injection molding preferred
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Strong project management/organizational skills with proven ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- Strong mechanical/electrical background with excellent troubleshooting skills
move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or associates of organization.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crouch. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts and occasionally exposed to exposed to fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and requires hearing protection.