This is the job description for LEAD LINE COOK
Job Title: Lead Cook
Company: Dimension Development
Reports To: Sous Chef, Executive Sous Chef, Executive Chef
Job Description Date: May 1, 2014
Job Purpose: To use knowledge of a la carte cooking and act as line leader, giving directions to others on production line.
1. Use knowledge of a la carte cooking, meat temperatures and presentation to create a finished product that is consistent with dinner entrees and gourmet dining.
2. Prepare all orders turned in by wait staff, ensuring that all orders are cooked quickly and according to order.
3. Ensure that food leaves kitchen in peak condition.
4. To produce all sauces and compounds and cook all food in the appropriate manner such as poaching, sauté, etc.
5. Prep food products using standard food preparation techniques.
6. Learn menus, recipes, preparation and presentation.
7. Ensure that all food is stored in proper containers and at proper storage and holding temperatures.
8. Prepare food needed by other kitchen departments, which is best prepared by this department; and prepare all food for the next shift and for the following day as required and directed by Supervisor.
9. Maintains work area, including all counter tops, utensils, equipment, and refrigeration in a clean and sanitary condition in accordance with state, county and company health regulations and work safety regulations.
10. If functioning in a lead capacity: (a) take responsibility for assigned employees in absence of Supervisor, (b) assigns work, and ensures proper performance of assigned employees.
11. Other duties as assigned.
1. Skillfully use hand tools or machines to prepare food
2. Read recipes of item to be prepared, picture what the finished product will look like, and accept responsibility for accuracy of the work as it is turned out.
3. Use arithmetic to figure amounts of product needed; measure ingredients with precision.
Job Qualifications: Describe the minimum qualifications needed to complete the job responsibilities.
Education HS Diploma or equivalent
Experience Minimum 6 months experience as line cook and 3 months as pantry/prep cook; OR equivalent combination.
Management Activities: Check all that apply
Interview, select and train associates
Set and adjust associates' rates of pay and hours of work
X Direct the work of associates
Appraise associates' productivity & efficiency to recommend promotions or other changes in status
Handle associate complaints
Plan the work
Determine the techniques to be used
X Apportion the work among associates
Determine materials, supplies, machinery, equipment or tools to be used or merchandise to be bought, stocked & sold
Control the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies
Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
Plan and control the budget
Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates or their equivalent (1 full-time associate at 40 and 2 half-time associates at 20 hours each, are equivalent to 2 full-time associates).
Authority to hire or fire other associates, or makes suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing , advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other associates are given particular weight.
Discretion & Independent Judgment: Answer all questions and provide multiple specific examples.
Question Answer (If yes, give multiple examples)
Does this position have authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement management policies or operating practices? No
Does this position have authority to commit the employer in matters that have significant financial impact? No
Does this position have authority to waive or deviate from established policies and procedures without prior approval? No
Does this position have authority to negotiate and bind the company on significant matters? No
Is this position involved in planning long or short-term business objectives? No
Does this position represent the company in handling complaints, arbitrating disputes or resolving grievances?
Does this position have authority to make an independent choice, free from immediate direction or supervision or make decisions or recommendations that may occasionally be reviewed, revised or reversed?
Physical Requirements: Indicate requirements that are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Working Conditions: Indicate the environmental aspects of the job.
Ability to speak and hear. Close and distance vision. Frequent sitting with some walking and standing. Frequently lifts/carries up to 10 lbs. Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills. Continually works in normal office conditions and in close proximity to others.
Additional physical & visual requirements (check all that apply) Additional working conditions (check all that apply)
X Identify and distinguish colors Outdoor weather conditions
X Stand for long periods of time X Extreme cold (non-weather)
X Walk extended distances X Extreme heat (non-weather)
X Lift/carry 6-25 lbs. X Wet or humid conditions
Lift/carry 26-50 lbs. X Near moving or mechanical parts
Lift/carry over 50 lbs. On high precarious places
X Reach hands and arms in any direction With fumes or airborne particles
X Kneel and/or stoop repeatedly Near toxic or caustic chemicals
X Able to work overtime and irregular hours X Near risk of electrical shock
X Near loud noises
In areas of strong vibration
For HR Department Use Only
Final Job Title: Lead Cook Approved FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Approved Job Grade: Date Job Evaluated: May 1, 2014
I have been given the opportunity to review this position description and have discussed the requirements of the position with the hiring supervisor. I understand this position description represents the minimum performance requirements of the job.
Associate: ____________________________ Date: _______________
Supervisor: ____________________________ Date: _______________
Posting ID: 548505694Posted: 2020-02-10