Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams, Valspar, HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams, Dutch Boy, Krylon, Minwax, Thompson's Water Seal, Cabot and many more. Sherwin-Williams branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,600 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company's other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors. The company supplies a broad range of highly-engineered industrial and OEM coatings for wood and general industrial, coil, packaging, protective and marine, and transportation applications worldwide. Our 60,000 employees are diverse, innovative and passionate. With a variety of rewarding and challenging opportunities, Sherwin-Williams is a great place to find a career that takes you places.
The Senior DevOps Linux Engineer position is part of Platform Optimization team and has expertise on DevOps systems, processes and tools deployed in a Linux environment. The Engineer engages closely with Global Infrastructure, Architecture, Oracle Database Administration, Oracle Engineered systems administration, Oracle Fusion Middleware Administration teams with a focus on leveraging automation and orchestration tools to improve operational processes and procedures.
The Engineer will create configuration management driven systems, execute life-cycle service models, and ensure integration with other systems works as designed. The Engineer will document existing and newly deployed configuration management solutions. This role will focus on complex troubleshooting and support within all levels of organization. The role will utilize ITIL practices to support new and existing line of business Linux deployments. The role would provide solution design, capacity planning, high availability and business continuity in support of mission critical Linux based systems.
Strategy & Planning
• Perform analysis of the organization's business needs, translate business requirements into use cases, design and implementation services for automating system delivery.
• Implement service level standards and practices for Linux deployments.
• Participate in the development of standards and decisions regarding changes to systems/applications. Provide technical leadership and vision.
• Identify open source tools, languages, and technologies for accelerating system delivery by leveraging automation and infrastructure orchestration techniques.
• Design, deploy and maintain configuration management tools like Puppet/Ansible etc.
• Analyze new emerging technologies in the Configuration Management space and translate functionality of the new technology into an effective IT vision and strategy.
• Keep up-to-date on business trends and the latest technology innovations to forecast solutions, and anticipate emerging business changes.
• Collaborate with other technologists across the enterprise to assess current capabilities and bridge the gaps with legacy and future systems.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for Linux systems and software in conjunction with application developers.
• Advanced server scripting abilities using Bash Shell, Perl, and/or Python.
• Engage in the planning, design and development tasks with focus on simplification and optimization of processes.
• Meet with clients, peers and decision makers to define business requirements and system goals, and identify and resolve business systems issues.
• Administer and support the policies, procedures and technologies to ensure Linux system security through secure system access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
• Participate in standard configuration, management, and maintenance tasks for related file systems, input/output systems, networking, clustering, storage, and applications.
• Implement, perform and test application high availability solutions to meet required levels of application availability.
• Implement, perform and test application disaster recovery solutions to meet required levels of application recoverability.
• Work with team to anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on all Linux systems.
• Analyze and implement operational intelligence tools.
• Collaborate and support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
• Design and execute modifications to Linux systems in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
• Ensure secure user access and role validation processes.
• Perform Linux server/database transaction and security audits leading to identification and mitigation of security threats to enterprise data. Recommend and implement changes where necessary.
• Create required reports in response to business user needs.
• Develop, document, and maintain Linux system training materials and systems documentation for educating end users and new IT staff.
• Mentor and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
• Participate in capacity planning and performance management activities.
• Assist with various projects as required contributing to the efficiency of work.
• Engage in Proof of Concept (POC) in evaluating new technologies and present findings to Management.
• Participate in hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
• Assist with Change Management preparations and implementations, providing technical subject matter expertise.
• Some travel may be required
• Working outside the standard office 7.5 hours workday may be required; on-call availability.
Formal Education & Certification
• Bachelor degree or foreign equivalent in related field or equivalent experience.
• Certifications in Linux System Administration, Cloud Architecture, Configuration Management tools is desirable
Knowledge & Experience
• 5+ years IT experience
• 3+ years designing and deploying Linux based systems in a large scale, mission critical global production enterprise (500+ servers).
• Experience deploying Linux based virtualization technologies. VMWare, OVM, or XEN experience preferred.
• 3+ years of experience deploying applications, databases, and virtualization services.
• Experience with Cloud platforms (private, public or hybrid).
• Expert knowledge of Infrastructure platforms (compute, network and storage).
• Experience implementing Linux server hardening and security practices. Experience implementing PCI and HIPPA compliance standards preferred.
• Experience performing Linux security vulnerability detection and remediation (Qualys Preferred).
• Experience implementing system, network, and data cryptography practices for Linux.
Experience Preferred but not required
• Experience automating / orchestrating system administration tasks using SOAP and REST based web services. Experience applying practices to storage administration.
• Experience supporting platforms running Oracle Enterprise Linux, Oracle databases and Fusion Middleware applications
• Experience implementing ITIL based service catalog for Linux platforms.
• Software development experience.
• Enterprise Storage experience (ZFS preferred)
• Good understanding of fundamental technologies like TCP/IP, HTTP(S), SSL, FTP, VSFTP, SMTP, DNS, Load balancer, NFS etc.
• Working knowledge of database technologies (Oracle clustering and ASM, MondoDB, Mysql, and/or DB2).
• Experience integrating, deploying, and maintaining Java, Ruby, PHP, and/or Python based web technologies.
• Knowledge of LDAP concepts and experience integrating Linux authentication with LDAP.
• Strong and comprehensive verbal and written communications.
• Responsive and alert to new learning opportunities, growth and development of technical, interpersonal and business skills; able to recognize and address areas needing improvement.
• Motivated and competent to contribute appropriate time and effort to work needing attention.
• Attentive to detail with focus on accurate and timely results.
• Organized and able to prioritize tasks, responding effectively to competing needs.
• Attentive and reactive to customer needs and concerns.
• Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Able to contribute to team effort and individual achievement.
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status, or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract. VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting priority referral of protected veterans.