Founded in 1866, The Sherwin-Williams Company is a global leader in the manufacture, development, distribution, and sale of paints, coatings and related products to professional, industrial, commercial, and retail customers. The company manufactures products under well-known brands such as Sherwin-Williams, Valspar, HGTV HOME by Sherwin-Williams, Dutch Boy, Krylon, Minwax, Thompson's Water Seal, Cabot and many more. Sherwin-Williams branded products are sold exclusively through a chain of more than 4,100 company-operated stores and facilities, while the company's other brands are sold through leading mass merchandisers, home centers, independent paint dealers, hardware stores, automotive retailers, and industrial distributors. The company supplies a broad range of highly-engineered industrial and OEM coatings for wood and general industrial, coil, packaging, protective and marine, and transportation applications worldwide. Our 60,000 employees are diverse, innovative and passionate. With a variety of rewarding and challenging opportunities, Sherwin-Williams is a great place to find a career that takes you places.
Thrive in an exciting new space filled with natural light in the heart of Midtown Raleigh. Located in an urban-style campus, the park features a fitness center, an on-site eatery, a central courtyard, green spaces, and trails.
The Software Engineering Manager is responsible for leading a cross-functional team through the complete software development lifecycle, developing in a fast-paced environment. This development team is one of several teams working together across various locations in the US. Drives complex programming activities with an agile mindset using the latest technologies to build digital products that are scalable, durable, and secure. Works closely with the product management team, DevOps, and other stakeholders to deliver flagship digital customer experiences for web and mobile. This role will have direct reports and will lead others during an exciting time of growth.
Strategy & Planning
• Facilitate, and lead where necessary, Feature and Story planning, partnering with the business to facilitate appropriate definition and prioritization of work to the team.
• Manage Services Portfolio, including release and end-of-life planning.
• Research and evaluate new development standards and tools, working with other Technology leaders to make decisions.
• Plan and coordinate system upgrades that impact applications, including database, and application and web servers.
• Determine staffing and skills requirements.
• Drive change.
Acquisition & Deployment
• Manage daily operational, maintenance, and project work.
• Provide necessary resources to development team to maximize productivity.
• Work with support teams to resolve production issues and plan new development efforts.
• Develop client relationships through communication and engagement on projects.
• Act as a Subject Matter Expert in the discovery and investigation of new projects and initiatives.
• Mentor and coach team members, including professional apprentices .
• Work with customers to build and formulate business requirements.
• Develop documentation, white papers and presentations to all levels of management and technical staff.
• Provide daily management and leadership to the development team.
• Work with team to deliver business value through regular sprint cycles.
• Participate in regular delivery team collaboration and ceremonies.
• Create and manage development work plan to track all project deliverables and communicate development status within the broader technology team.
• Conduct activities like staffing, performance and resource management, and strategic direction of the team.
• Create and maintain development plans for each team member, including training, skills assessment, career planning, and goal planning.
• Set employee objectives, monitor and evaluate performance and provide feedback and mentoring.
• Manage personal growth objectives for the Team in conjunction with Career Development Office.
• Coordinate various operational and administrative tasks as necessary.
• Work with a cross-functional team on special projects expanding outside of our normal scope of work.
• On-boarding and off-boarding contractors and other temporary staff as needed.
• Develop prototypes or small application projects as required to meet business demands.
• Contribute to various process improvement initiatives as requested.
• Assist with other projects as may be required to contribute to efficiency and effectiveness of the work.
• Responsible for hiring activities and fulfilling affirmative action obligations and ensuring compliance with the equal employment opportunity policy.
• Travel up to 20% may be required.
• Work outside the standard office 7.5 hour workday may be required.
Formal Education & Certification
• Bachelor Degree or foreign equivalent in related field or equivalent experience.
Knowledge & Experience
• 10+ years IT experience.
• 4+ years supervisory experience or team responsibility managing using an agile software development methodology preferred.
• Hands-on experience with the entire software development lifecycle i.e. requirements, design, implementation, integration testing, deployment and post-production support.
• Experience working in a cross functional environment.
• Familiarity with QA process such as regression testing, unit testing, and test scripts
• Excellent understanding of web applications and RESTful API's.
• Experience with modern web frameworks and cloud application design principles.
• Experience with establishing Development Standards and Engineering Processes.
• Familiarity with modern digital platform technologies; such as microservices, APIs, cloud services, etc.
• Experience in at least 3 full life-cycle web application development projects.
• Experience working as a Scrum Master.
• Proven leadership, strong decision-making, and team management skills.
• Exceptional analytical, conceptual, and problem-solving abilities.
• Strong written and oral communication skills.
• Strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to conduct research into application development issues, standards, and products.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Able to prioritize and execute tasks.
• Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status now or in the future
Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, age, pregnancy, genetic information, creed, citizenship status, marital status, or any other consideration prohibited by law or contract. VEVRAA Federal Contractor requesting priority referral of protected veterans.