Job Description Have you ever enjoyed Arnold, Brownberry or Oroweat bread? A Thomas' English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee, Entenmann's or Marinela cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA ("BBUSA") includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
Position is responsible to develop and lead the execution of Bimbo Bakery USA (BBU) R&D technical innovation plans and support those with business value to be integrated into new product development programs.
This role is accountable for Innovation, Ingredient Research, and Analytical Services activities nationally and works with cross-functional groups in the organization (Marketing, Operations, Supply Chain, etc.).
Position will leverage the latest technical & consumer trends in the baking industry and international markets to answer BBU's strategic initiatives vital winning designs and technical problem solving. By working both independently and with the team, candidates are expected to bring a creative and analytical skill set to solving strategic issues for the division.
Position will plan, direct, lead, mentor, and coach two to three direct reports to work on Ingredient & Analytical Research, Early Development and Technical Applications. This role & department supports the entire Research and Development staff. Knowledge and experience over bakery and/or bakery ingredients is a must. PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES:
- In accordance with company objectives, develop and monitor research plans and budgets for R&D projects, ensuring projects are completed on time and within cost objectives.
- Drive accountability, consistency, superior product quality, and process standardization across all phases of research and development.
- Key R&D point of contact for Disruptive Innovation involving ingredients and new product categories.
- Optimize Product Designs to win against Competitors via consumer feedback. Reverse Engineer Key Competitive Products with consumer input.
- Direct the Research and Development (R&D) program, from new product proposal to commercialization.
- Integrate technological knowledge and business relevance, while balancing new technological opportunities with operational consequences to ensure creation of viable new opportunities
- Lead, support, develop and coach the technical staff of R&D professionals and scientists.
- Effectively manages/communicates project milestones, timelines, budgets/financials, and critical path issues to core/implementation team members and to senior management, as appropriate.
- Survey all avenues of technology and food product development (external & internal) to understand all innovation and its potential application to our BBU business.
- Identify areas for internal process improvement and construct/lead process flow for newly created innovation work flow.
- Critically evaluate and support all technologies (ingredient, product, packaging, processing, biotechnology, etc.) for their business potential in our existing or potential future business opportunities.
- Review these opportunities with leadership for consideration and presentation to Senior Management.
- Fully understand internal/external capabilities in order to create new categories of products.
- Fully understands and keeps up to date with FDA regulations and labeling requirements to help guide future Product developments.
- Track in-market programs of recent new item launches for all U.S. product segments.
- Assess global new products and assess value / potential for U.S. expansion.
- Recommends intellectual property (patent/trade secret) action for the benefit of BBU/GB.
- To Advise, Support and Guide, upon request, other R&D and other technical team members on all practical and theoretical innovation technology to be immediately utilized by all R&D working members.
- Coordinate Advanced Technical Training for R & D team.
- Leads, Supports, Guides Ingredient Specification Development & Analytical Services to support all development activities.
- Will have responsibility for strategic supplier management.
- Seek/Explore new novel ingredient suppliers.
- Provides advanced technical education to the entire R & D teams.
- Advanced Scientific Degree required. Food Science & Chemistry, Grain Science, Biochemistry, Food Engineering, etc. Additional advanced degrees in related functional areas (Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Innovation, etc.) would be an advantage.
- 15 years of professional experience in related scientific field, especially Research & Development, in a major company in the CPG, Food, Baking, Brand Management, Innovation, Food Manufacturing areas.
- Must have strong working knowledge of and the ability to effectively influence cross functional disciplines; Marketing, Operations, Finance, Strategy and Quality.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills with the ability to interact effectively with senior leaders and peers.
- Strong project management skills - both strategic and tactical is critical.
- Strong technical leadership skills with a proven track record is a must.
- Technical expertise in all modern media avenues (technical R&D websites patent trademark office, etc.) is a plus. Must be able to survey all available technology outlets for BBU consideration.
- Strong work ethic, flexibility and ability to multi-task required in fast-paced Direct Store Delivery fresh bakery category.
- Expect 20 - 40 % travel to view new technology. International travel is possible
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.