Job Description Have you ever enjoyed Arnold, Brownberry or Oroweat bread? A Thomas' English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee, Entenmann's or Marinela cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA ("BBUSA") includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
The Senior Research and Development Associate conducts research and product development activities throughout Bimbo Bakeries USA. Brings key skills and knowledge to the Baking Business in new product ideas/concepts and troubleshooting by hand-on and or direction. To be able to initiate product and/or processing concepts from idea to final production start-up. Spearhead new technology development and its application into all baked good areas. Develop and implement productivity projects.
- Design and execute experimentation using established procedures, interpret results and translate results into possible solutions.
- Contribute to key product improvement, cost reductions, new products, development, knowledge building or other technically based, business driven objective.
- Be able to set up a basic baking laboratory where required, select the equipment and manage the project.
- Evaluate new ingredients, materials, products or processes
- Describe/demonstrate research results or experimental protocols to colleagues in a professional manner.
- Carry out those programs so laid out by designated supervisors under authority of the Director of Product Development, within the parameters of time and cost, etc.
- To work both in a "hands-on" environment and /or direct as needed, ideas and concepts in to product reality.
- Utilizing practical and technical abilities both of his/her own and/or other team members, make changes, samples adoptions as required.
- Utilizing services available - laboratory, accounting, packaging, technical services, marketing, engineering, etc. - ensure that product(s) are followed through to channels for final approval for sale.
- To advise and guide, as requested, other R&D team members and other departments throughout Bimbo Bakeries USA, on scientific/technical matters as necessary.
- To prepare specifications and process operating guides for product developments and ensure flow of documentation is communicated to those who have a need to know.
- To write the reports/memo on current status of developments. Record data from analyses or experiments in a computer, log book or laboratory notebook.
- Deal effectively and professionally with outside ingredient suppliers to meet R&D objectives (keeping Purchasing informed).
- To ensure, at all times, communication with all R&D members of product development team throughout Bimbo Bakeries USA and any other groups related to the projects.
- Where product developed is scheduled for test marketing, to accept responsibility such production on a regular basis.
- To maintain a daily log outlining project status and activities in such detail that others may continue the test.
- To lead in special projects concerning products, processes, equipment, and facility concepts and design.
- Where approved to travel to all Bimbo Bakeries USA technical facilities and to co-packers facilities, to independently and effectively accomplish R&D objectives, and interface professionally with representatives of the same.
- Strong commitment to and support of BBU's values, ethics, goals, and objectives.
- B.S. degree in Food Sciences, Cereal Science, or in Chemical, or Food/Agricultural/Biological Engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Research and Development of foods, preferably in the bakery industry. Formulating and/or troubleshooting experience is desired.
- Knowledge of the baking process and the function of ingredients.
- Expert knowledge of the baking process and the function of ingredients.
- Proven excellent work record with demonstrated high levels of initiative and self-direction.
- Demonstrated strong problem-solving and critical-thinking skills.
- Excellent organizational and communication (written and oral) skills.
- Excellent project management skills with ability to prioritize multiple activities simultaneously
- Computer skills and proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database and other software/applications.
- Willing to travel as required.
Desirable qualifications for position:
- Prefer 5 plus years of Bakery/R&D/Quality technical knowledge in Manufacturing/Operations.
- M.S. in Food Science or related field or significant experience and training beyond B.S. degree in the science of baking and a strong mechanical aptitude. Equivalent work experience in the bakery industry and specific experience within an R&D/Quality environment, developing or troubleshooting products may be considered.
- Completion of the AIB Residence course preferred.
- Knowledge of Statistical Process Control, statistical design of experiments, and data collection and analysis.
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.