Job Description Have you ever enjoyed Arnold, Brownberry or Oroweat bread? A Thomas' English muffin or bagel? Or perhaps snacked on a Sara Lee, Entenmann's or Marinela cake or donut? If the answer is yes, then you know Bimbo Bakeries USA!
Bimbo Bakeries USA is part of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest baking company with operations in 32 countries. Bimbo Bakeries USA ("BBUSA") includes BBUSA and its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, including, but not limited to, Wholesome Harvest Baking, East Balt, and Acelerada. BBUSA employs 20,000 associates across the U.S. in bakeries, sales centers, corporate offices and on sales routes to ensure our consumers have the freshest products to feed their families at every meal. But our associates come to work for much more - the chance to feed their own lives through exciting work that offers the opportunity to make a real difference in their professional and personal lives every day.
Under general direction, this position is responsible for facilitating development, implementation and training for comprehensive systems to ensure food safety and sanitation. The focus will be consistent adherence to documented regulatory, corporate and local regulations, standards and practices. The associate will act as primary regional Food Safety and Sanitation resource to Bimbo Bakeries USA production facilities, co-packers, distribution facilities and thrift stores. The Food Safety Compliance Manager will be responsible to conduct risk based Food Safety / Sanitation / Quality Systems Audits at the at BBU facilities, co-packers, DCs and key Ingredient Vendors. The associate will be responsible to review the corrective action for the audit deficiencies and monitor the status of corrective action at the audited facilities. The associate will lead with behaviors that promote cultural change through outstanding team based associate relationships. Key Job Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize, direct and control the work performed by receiving staff. Develop work policies and procedures, monitor procedures for opportunities to improve. Ensure associates have adequate resources, training and are fully knowledgeable of Food Safety requirements set forth by local, state and federal agencies.
- Assign work and set schedules and standards. Conduct performance evaluations. Support the values and policies of the organization.
- Responsible to manage departmental budgets.
- Evaluate new methods for achieving departmental goals in the most effective and economical manner.
- Conducts formal facility risk assessments and prioritizes work based upon assigned risks.
- Conducts Food Safety / Sanitation / Quality Systems Audits and cultural assessments.
- Provides timely, concise, accurate reports of the audit findings.
- Reviews the facility corrective action for inspection deficiencies.
- Monitors the status of corrective action at the audited facilities.
- Facilitates compliance with all food safety programs for the facilities to include but not limited to: HACCP, GMP's, Allergen control, lot traceability, associate food safety training, etc.
- Monitors effectiveness of Master Cleaning Sanitation Schedule, cleaning procedures, chemical usage and chemical safety.
- Coaches / trains facility management staffs were necessary.
- Lead the manufacturing group during regulatory audits conducted by local county health departments, state health departments, Food & Drug Administration, military and the local water district.
- Helps to identify trends in inadequate regulatory compliance within the organization.
- Identifies areas were facilities need assistance in maintaining regulatory compliance.
- Supports company initiatives to reduce Consumer Complaints; Foreign Material, Mold.
- Supports compliance with Customer requirements; GFSI Certified Audits, AIB Inspections, etc.
- Take appropriate action to ensure the integrity of the SQF system.
- Responsible for reporting and taking any necessary action to prevent food safety and food quality problems from occurring.
- Responsible for following and enforcing procedures outlined in the Food Safety Plan and the Food Quality Plan and any other programs that support the SQF system.
- Understand, coach and teach the principles of the BBU Manufacturing Transformation, including lean tools, process capability and operational discipline.
Job Requirements Key Behavioral Competencies:
Education and Work History:
- Provides comprehensive, timely and value added food safety / sanitation resource assistance to all facilities within area of responsibility.
- Manages and is responsible for personal travel budget. Supports the achievement of facility productivity targets by identifying opportunities to reduce costs.
- Partners with other Shared Services groups in fostering process improvement, communication and facility cohesiveness.
- Leads through example - promotes safety performance and helps establish a safety culture.
- Shares best practices and knowledge among the entire organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BS degree in Food Science or related major, preferred. (or combination of education, training and experience).
- Five (5) years minimum experience in the food industry, with three (3) years Food Safety, Sanitation and/or Quality Assurance.
- Bakery operations management experience a plus.
- Knowledge of HACCP and formal auditing experience desired.
- Familiarity with federal and state regulations, AIB, GFSI Standards and major customer requirements is necessary.
- Proficient in computer skills and in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Organized and detail oriented.
- Comfortable working in a distance team environment.
- HCCP and SQF Certification
Bimbo Bakeries USA is an equal opportunity employer with a policy that provides equal employment opportunity for applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, disability, gender, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, reassignment, layoff, discharge, education, training and all other working conditions. To further the principle of equal employment opportunity, Bimbo Bakeries USA has developed affirmative action plans for minorities and women, qualified individuals with disabilities, and Vietnam-era and special disabled veterans and other protected veterans.