Nature and scope:
The Licensed Practical Nurse is responsible for oversight of all personal care/clinical services and medication delivery services to residents on a day-to-day basis as required by the state regulations and Management policies.
The Licensed Practical Nurse assists in maintaining an environment that will be homelike, safe and supportive of the resident.
The Licensed Practical Nurse assures the training and supervision of personal care/clinical staff in accordance with the residents' needs, state regulations, Management policies and procedures.
This job description applies to a Licensed Practical Nurse for Assisted Living and Memory Care.
Minimum eligibility requirements
• Must be 21 years of age. accommodate fluctuating needs of the resident and community.
• Must have strong documentation skills .
• Must have experience in training and staff development.
• Must have the ability to develop systems for monitoring resident health conditions and for ensuring efficient and safe delivery of resident care.
• Must pass c riminal background check.
• Must meet all health requirements.
• Must have valid driver's license.
• Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities (essential job function s), with or without reasonable accommodation. *Specialized clinical requirements (Licensed Practical Nurse)
• LPN may delegate nur sing care to unlicensed assisted personnel (UAP) within the scope of practice
• Ability to obtain a ll required continuing education as required by the company, law, licensing agencies and Board of Nursing.
• Must have at least 3-5 years of experience supervising the performance of duties to unlicensed personnel (UAP).
• Experience of 3 - 5 years or more in the care of senior adults and adults with cognitive decline is preferred .
Essential functions Clinical
- Ensure sound infection control practices are in place that promote a healthy environment and ensure all required infection control training is met.
- Be able to ensure that staff can apply the home's accident, fire safety, disaster, elopement and emergency procedures for protection of the staff and residents.
- Maintain responsibility for development, implementation, modification and communication of all resident assessments and care plans.
- Participate in resident and family care conferences.
- Serve as liaison between resident, family, physician and other health care providers regarding health care issues.
- Ensure that changes in resident conditions are evaluated, reported, monitored, and documented with follow up to assure interventions are implemented and documented.
- Perform care procedures within the scope of practice as allowed by state law and in compliance with Affinity policy.
- Provide oversight of the medication management systems and ensure that Medications Aides are competently trained and that medications are available, dispensed in a safe and effective manner, that the Medication Administration Records (MARs) are accurate and complete and that all medications are current, properly stored and properly disposed of when discontinued.
- Maintain an accurate and sufficient inventory of all care supplies including all infection control supplies plus incontinent supplies, and follow established purchasing protocols.
- Must participate as a team member of the facility's Quality Assurance Committee and assure the requirements of the Community's QA Program are accurately completed each quarter.
- Audit resident records on a regular basis and ensure that documentation indicates compliance with State Regulatory care requirements. Assure records accurately address the care issues, including identified concerns, interventions and outcomes of all residents. In addition, ensure when required, the health care needs are contracted to the appropriate agencies per doctor' s orders.
- Ensure that resident care is provided in a safe and effective manner while consistently maintaining resident dignity, choice, privacy and respect.
- Maintain a current knowledge of OSHA and state regulations and routinely monitor community compliance with regulations related to resident care.
- Assure the completion of staff schedules with ongoing monitoring of schedules to assure staffing requirements are met.
- Recruiting and hiring of qualified care staff employees.
- Coordinates and oversees the ordering of resident specific and departmental health related supplies.
- Any other duties assigned by the Director of Resident Care or the Executive Director.
Joint decisions and duties between Licensed Practical Nurse and the Director of Resident Care
- Completion of resident assessments and development of customized care/service plans, as applicable.
- Compliance with all appropriate regulations.
- Complete, review and submit incident reports per state regulations and Affinity Living Group Policy.
- Develop, implement and monitor plan of correction for compliance
- Implement and facilitate emergency procedures in coordination with the Director of Resident Care
- Responsible for supervising, assigning significant overall duties and tasks and responsibly directing the work of all clinical employees with full accountability for the performance of subordinates.
- Responsible for timely and effective communication of all department employees including positive feedback
- Communicate and enforce policies and procedures including Affinity Living Group policies and procedures dealing with rules of employee conduct, the employer's safety and sanitation policies and other human resource policies, and directly discipline and effectively recommend corrective and disciplinary action to enforce such policies to Director of Resident Care.
- Evaluate performance and effectively recommend changes to terms and conditions of employment based on such evaluations.
- Ability to lead and direct the overall operations on the community in accordance with residents' needs, government regulations, and Affinity Living Group policies and procedures in the absence of the Director of Resident Care.
- Responsible for ensuring that all employees are providing excellent customer service to internal and external customers.
- Perform job duties for residents and with team members in a courteous and professional manner.
- Take initiative to ensure resident safety and satisfaction is a priority .
- Meet and greet visitors in a friendly, helpful manner (Visitors include anyone who visits the community; specifically, current residents' families and friends, prospective residents and their families, referral sources, vendors and regulators).
- Answer facility and resident phones appropriately, according to company and community standards.
- Communicate professionally and cooperate with supervisor and all community personnel.
- Ensure compliance and understanding of all regulations regarding Residents' Rights. Assure reporting of infringement of Resident Rights is timely reported.
- Successfully complete Licensed Professional Support Skills and medication skills check off.
- Completed required State trainings.
- Attend training sessions as directed by supervisor.
- Follow and communicate Affinity Living Group goals, values, guidelines and policies and procedures.
- The job description provides a framework for the job; other duties may be assigned as necessary.