A trained ancillary person who is responsible and accountable for the quality of care she/he provides to the patient in the operating room. Major functions include, but are not limited to, preparation of the instrumentation, equipment and environment for the various surgical procedures performed. Works directly under the supervision of the registered nurse in assigned area and is ultimately responsible to the nursing director. PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Prepares the instrumentation, supplies and equipment required for the various procedures performed within the area.
a. Maintains integrity of the sterile field, recognize and resolves any breaks in technique.
b. Anticipates the needs of the surgical team to facilitate the smooth and timely flow of the procedure.
c. Communicates essential information of the constantly changing requirements of the surgical team, i.e., updating preference cards.
2. Prepares room for patient admission in a timely manner to promote efficient room utilization.
a. Ensures the efficient and effective cleaning of the operating room according to established protocols.
b. Ensures the presence of all supplies and equipment required for subsequent procedures.
c. Efficiently organizes surgical tables with appropriate sterile supplies and equipment.
d. Checks for proper functioning of equipment.
3. Positions patient utilizing proper body mechanics and safety precautions.
a. Assists in the transfer of patients from litter to bed, ensuring that the bed is locked and secure during transfer.
b. Performs proper patient safety measures, i.e., safety strap application, protective padding and arm-board placement.
c. Positions patient maintaining proper body alignment of patient and self.
4. Performs appropriate counts with circulator to verify removal of all countable items from surgical site in accordance with established procedure.
5. Cleans and restocks rooms utilizing knowledge of septic and aseptic technique.
a. Disposes of all waste materials according to established protocols. Pays particular attention to the disposal of hazardous (knife blades) or infected material.
b. Separates instrumentation into appropriate containers. Follows individualized protocols for the care and maintenance of specialized instrumentation.
c. Ensures the appropriate par levels of supplies and the presence of necessary equipment and furniture to prevent time consuming delays between procedures.
6. Receives (from RN) medication (except for narcotics) passed onto the sterile field to be administered by the surgical team. Assists the circulator and surgical team in accounting for amounts of medications and irrigation's administered.
7. Handles all surgical specimens according to procedure. Relates the type of specimen to the circulator to ensure proper labeling.
8. Ensures the availability of equipment and supplies for any type of emergency.
a. Checks for completeness of emergency equipment supplies.
b. Checks for expiration dates on sterile products.
c. Resolves any deficiencies identified.
9. Functions in an on-call capacity for urgent and emergent situations. 3/IV
a. Reports within specified times to unit.
b. Is available at all times to the hospital via phone, bellboy or on-site.
10. Keeps current regarding developments in technical instrumentation, trends and techniques through appropriate journals as well as internal and external educational programs.
11. Under the supervision or direction of the RN, assists with and reinforces teaching and emotional support for patient and family during the perioperative phase.
12. Serves on appropriate Nursing and Hospital committees as requested.
13. Participates in staff meetings.
14. Makes appropriate use of supplies, equipment and other resources helping to maintain a cost-effective program for patient, unit and institution.
15. Assists in evaluation of products, equipment and systems which may have an impact on planning and implementing the budget.
16. Keeps informed of personnel policies and incorporates them in behavior as indicated.
17. Technologists who demonstrate high level of skill and expertise act as preceptors to new staff members.
1. Completion of an accredited surgical technologist program.
2. Current LBR experience required, knowledge of patient care and aseptic technique is essential.
3. Personal attributes such as good judgment, dependability and initiative are necessary.
4. May not currently hold a valid nursing license.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Must have knowledge of septic and aseptic technique and be conscious of both at all times.
2. Must be aware of safety standards and hazards in the room.
3. Must have knowledge of patient positioning and assist circulator when necessary.
4. Must have knowledge of care and handling of surgical instruments.
5. Must have knowledge of care and safety hazards of all specialty equipment.
6. Understands the normal and recognizes deviation form normal within his/her specialty.
7. Demonstrates expertise on the use and maintenance of equipment and/or machinery required for area of specialty. Most of this is expensive highly technical equipment requiring expert handling and care, i.e., $50,000 microscopes, $10,000 arthroscopes.
8. Is aware of and utilizes accepted standards of care and participates in the evaluation of those standards.
9. Must have ability to recall past experience in order to anticipate surgical team needs.
10. Must posses interpersonal skills sufficient to interact efficiently with other members.
11. Must have ability to teach skills of a surgical technician to other health team members such as medical and nursing students.
12. Must posses ability to work in frequently stressful situation requiring quick action and
adaptability to rapid change. (Emergencies or change in plan - up to 75% of work time.)
13. Work requires approximately up to 6 months of orientation to acquire familiarity with the specialty areas.
14. Work requires ability to carry through with identified skills as failure to do so may result in serious harm to patients, self or co-workers, i.e., infections, injuries, prolonged surgical and anesthesia times.
Posting ID: 551554299Posted: 2020-07-14