This position is responsible for supervising the mixing, milling, and employees of the feed mill, ensuring compliance with Feed Quality and Safety programs. The Supervisor will direct operations in ingredient receiving, grain drying, feed batching, pelleting, grinding, sample and quality testing, as well as implementing all safety protocol and processes. The Feed Mill Supervisor will perform any combination of the following tasks as needed and appropriate to complete the job successfully.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Completes daily duties in a manner that maintains compliance and seeks out opportunities for improvement within the Smithfield ISO22000 Feed Safety and Quality program
- Directs operations in ingredient receiving, grain drying, feed batching, feed pelleting, grinding, quality testing, sample gathering, mill sanitation and following/implementing all safety protocol and processes.
- Communicates with feed mill maintenance and vendors as appropriate.
- Assists and provides input for Capital projects, equipment upgrades or expansion and budget planning.
- Assists with Capital projects; works with maintenance on project planning and future repair and Maintenance needs.
- Oversees Quality Assurance testing per protocol.
- Maximizes feed production and quality, as well as feed delivery logistics.
- Monitors feed and ingredient inventories.
- Ensures mill sanitation and that sanitation schedules are performed.
- Supervises mill operators for shift operations.
- Communicates with dispatch to ensure feed is available for load out (regarding shortages, feed outages, potential delays, breakdowns, weather issues.)
- Ensures feed formulas or transfers are entered into control system.- (via use of computer transfer program)
- Communicates with customers, dispatch, and office personnel as needed.
- Completes operational reports as necessary when mill manager is not available.
- Communicates with procurement department as needed.
- Promotes a safe workplace and conducts safety meetings. Adheres to company safety policies and ensures employees are following safety protocol.
- Promotes good environmental stewardship and maintains mill environmental equipment per guidelines/permits.
- Trains/Operates fork truck and skid loader as necessary.
- Completes accurate/timely reporting of operations, inventory and sanitation per protocol.
- Keeps management informed of mill operational, maintenance, safety and employee concerns/issues.
- Recommends process improvement opportunities that are necessary to improve efficiencies, quality, and service to Mill Manager.
- Helps to insure FDA, EPA, Safe Feed Safe Food compliance
- Assists with the development, implementation and maintenance of future ISO programs/compliance.
- Communicates mill and transportation issues and opportunities clearly with other shift leads/employees/departments.
- Demonstrates punctuality by showing esteem for others and by doing the right thing at the right time
- Knows and does what is expected – demonstrates responsibility.
- Demonstrates flexibility with a willingness to change plans according to the direction of management
- Accurately reports past facts and earns future trust
- Complies with all Management System compliance- to include but not limited to IPS (Injury Prevention System): EMS (Emergency Management Systems) and Animal Well Being Policies and Procedures
- May be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested, subject to all applicable state and federal laws.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions
- Associate's degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to recognize and do what needs to be done before being asked to do it
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of order processing systems, ability to effectively use and understand email and spreadsheets.
- Experience with MainSaver program helpful.
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to develop working relationships, effectively communicate in one on one situations, within small groups (to present information), across departments, including up the chain of command.
- Experience with cutting and welding helpful, working knowledge of steam flow and boiler operations helpful.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
Directly supervises employees during their assigned shift in the Feed Mill. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems in a timely manner utilizing the disciplinary process.
Work Environment & Physical Demands The work environment characteristics & physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to frequently climb over, under, and around feed mill areas.
- Must be able to walk and stand on concrete and unpaved areas for longer periods of time.
- Must be able to lift up 50 lbs on a limited basis.
- Must be supportive of the mission of producing high quality pellet feed.
- Must be tolerable and willing to learn and perform the different areas of the feed mill process.
- Must be able to work with and around a wide range of chemicals and different feed ingredients.
- Must be able to work effectively with others in a team environment.
- Must be able to work week-ends and holidays
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles and vibration.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions; risk of electrical shock and risk of radiation.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield's benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits
About Smithfield Foods
Headquartered in Smithfield, Va. since 1936, Smithfield Foods, Inc. is an American food company with agricultural roots and a global reach. Our 40,000 U.S. and 15,000 European employees are dedicated to producing "Good food. Responsibly.
" and have made us one of the world's leading vertically integrated protein companies. We have pioneered sustainability standards for more than two decades, including many industry firsts, such as our ambitious commitment to cut our carbon impact by 25 percent by 2025. We believe in the power of protein to end food insecurity and have donated hundreds of millions of food servings to our neighbors in need. Smithfield boasts a portfolio of high-quality iconic brands, such as Smithfield
and Nathan's Famous
, among many others. For more information, visit www.smithfieldfoods.com, and connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.
Smithfield is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.