To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Respiratory Therapist I is a health care professional who is a graduate of a Program in Respiratory Care approved by the Committee on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) and is licensed by the State of Connecticut as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. The Therapist I performs a variety of clinical activities in the assessment, treatment and education of the patient with respiratory problems. The Therapist I actively supports and serves as a resource to the other members of the patient care team. The Therapist I supports departmental and interdepartmental quality improvement efforts.
- 1. Clinical Application of Respiratory Care: Functions efficiently, resourcefully and skillfully in providing patients optimum age-specific respiratory care.
- 1.1 Assesses patient's pulmonary status employing basic skills, which include reviewing the medical chart, patient interview, physical examination, and interpretation of blood gases. Demonstrates proficiency and consistency with all assessment skills, including interpretation of x-ray and blood gases, RAW, CL graphic displays, etc. Demonstrates knowledge and interpretation of diagnostic procedures such as PPD, overnight oximetry, peak flow, arterial puncture, and sputum induction.
- 2. Documentation and Written communication: Contributes to effective communication within the department through documentation of services administered, changes in patient?s clinical status, and therapeutic objectives.
- 2.1 Records all care provided via electronic medical record accurately. Identifies patient on written documents by using MRN and patient labels as required by department and hospital policy. Notes consistently include ABGs, patient assessment, weaning assessment, and parameters. Maintains patient confidentiality with documentation practices.
- 3. Consultation and Collaboration and Oral Communication: Communicates clearly and appropriately with co-workers. Demonstrates a cooperative team spirit, effectively contributing to excellence of patient care.
- 3.1 Patient report information is appropriate and conveys current patient status. Gives report using SBAR format and attentively, courteously accepts report in order to facilitate transition from one shift to the next. Accurately, completely, and concisely gives a safe hand off for all relevant clinical information on patient's clinical course and status.
- 4. Self-Development, Professionalism and Leadership - Assumes responsibility for maintaining clinical competency through continuing education, professional growth, and development.
- 4.1 Assumes responsibility for professional self-development. Keeps self-informed about current trends within the profession and new procedures/equipment in the department. Requests inservices as appropriate to maintain competencies for equipment and procedures. Maintains membership in AARC, NBRC or demonstrates other active participation in profession.
Graduation from an accredited program of Respiratory Care, current active license by the State of Connecticut as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. NBRC Certification as demonstrated by completion of the TMC examination or its predecessor, Bachelor of Science Degree preferred.
This is an entry level position for new grads, those with limited experience in critical care or neonatal environments and those who have not yet completed the NBRC RRT exam.
CT RCP License BLS Advanced LS ? related to patient population as assigned (preferred)
Competent in the basic operation and application of respiratory care equipment. Excellent oral and written communication. Excellent organizational skills. Ability to work under stressful conditions. Excellent interpersonal skills. Computer literacy on a PC. Additional Information
Minimum 1 year pediatric Respiratory Therapist experience required
YNHHS Requisition ID