The Transporter is responsible for ensuring the proper transport of patients to and from ancillary and nursing departments using appropriate safety techniques, Vincentian Values, and customer service standards and assists staff members with other duties as assigned.
- Transporter will respond to requests for services needed by:
Arriving at patient pick-up site with appropriate transport vehicle.
Checking with nursing or ancillary staff prior to pick up to receive any special instructions and/or documentation.
- Responsible for prompt and timely delivery of service without undue delay.
- Maintain positive customer service relations at all times.
Introduces self to patient and informs patient of transport process and destination.
Solicits and obtains help as needed for any lifting of patients.
Transfers patient or material to appropriate transport vehicle using proper body mechanics.
Always confirms identification of patient by checking armband prior to transport.
Demonstrates consideration for patient's dignity and privacy by taking actions such as using an extra gown to cover patient's back, pajama bottoms for male patients, and other related actions, as needed.
Determines any special needs of patient and follows through, e.g., blanket for warmth, etc.
- Follow safety practices during transfer and transport of patient and equipment.
- Completes transports in a timely fashion and keeps staff informed via communication board and/or other instructed means of communication regarding the whereabouts of patients.
- Anticipates return of the patient from the ancillary department to the nursing unit and, as schedule permits, returns to pick up patient prior to being notified.
- Informs a staff member of the arrival or return of the patient or equipment.
Personally hands the patient's medical record to staff member.
Informs staff of any problems encountered during transport.
- Re-supply floor with wheelchairs and gurneys as needed and/or return them to the department they were borrowed from.
- Maintain and re-supply floor with oxygen tanks, as needed.
- Assist staff members with other duties, such as delivering/picking up meal trays, running errands, answering telephones, emptying laundry hampers, and other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrates flexibility and judgment to make sound decisions with minimal supervision.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
CERTIFICATIONS/LICENSURE:OTHER SKILLS, ABILITIES & KNOWLEDGE:
- Minimum of one year of experience performing similar duties preferred.
- Ability to understand and follow directions in the use of transport equipment and the handling of patients.
- Knowledge of basic traction set-ups.
- Full command both written and verbal, of the English language. Excellent communication skills.
AHMC- Seton Medical Center has a long tradition of providing patient-centered, quality care and a commitment to clinical excellence and our community. Founded in 1893, the 357-bed medical center now serves 1.5 million residents of San Francisco and northern San Mateo County with comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical specialties, as well as emergency and urgent care services. Its sister facility, Seton Coastside, is a 116-bed skilled nursing complex offering inpatient care and the only 24-hour standby Emergency Department on the Pacific Coast between Daly City and Santa Cruz. We pride ourselves on improving the health and well-being of our patients, community, and populations, we serve with high quality community partnerships, and continuous innovation to our health care delivery system and this is why we need caring, committed people on our team - like you. Join us on our mission to deliver the safest and highest quality patient-centered care