Eaton's eMobility Division is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer, Power Electronics to join our team.This position will be based at our Southfield, MI facility.
We make the electric revolution work. Every day, we work to improve people's lives and the environment by making power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable.
Preparing for the electrified future of mobility takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It's where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
Eaton's eMobility segment is collaborating with companies around the globe to innovate the transportation technologies of the future, creating efficient vehicles that travel faster, farther, higher and safer at a lower overall cost to the consumer and the environment. Position Overview:
The Senior Mechanical Engineer will focus on developing products for electrified and electric vehicles. In this role, you will design and develop Automotive and Commercial Electric Vehicle Traction Inverter products, which comply with customer specifications and applicable regulatory standards (SAE, UL, ISO, Automotive OEM, etc.).
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It's where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours. In this function you will:
- Perform detailed mechanical part and integration assembly design of high power electronics and PCBA utilizing 3D CAD in design for assembly and design for manufacturing
- Create simulation models to predict structural, fatigue, vibration, thermal, and CFD performance of new products in development
- Conduct electronics packaging in electrical isolation, sealing, thermal management, interconnection, NVH (noise, vibration & harshness) management, and EMI (electromagnetic interference)
- Prepare for and participates in formal and informal design review activities
- Work closely with cross-functional team members in planning and executing project based activities
- Communicate project progress to project management and manage project risk appropriately
- Develop product test plans and work closely with technicians or outside lab resources to implement and review testing activities
- Interface with and provide technical support for customers, plant, quality, and supplier personnel
- Operate and design within industry standards (SAE, ISO, MIL, & IATF16949)
- Work with and manage engineering team members in China and India to execute new product designs
- Integrate Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerance (GD&T), Design For Six Sigma tools and approaches, engineering simulation & modeling software, and phase-gate development processes for new products in development.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we- as individuals and as a company – are stronger.Qualifications :Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution required
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in new product development
- Minimum one (1) year of experience with power electronics.
- Minimum one (1) year experience in computer simulation and modeling software (CFD, stress, thermal, dynamics, tolerance, etc.) as well as 3D CAD / solid modeling software
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship, now or in the future.
- Relocation is not offered for this position. Only candidates residing within a 50 mile radius of Southfield, MI will be considered. Active Duty Military Service member candidates are exempt from the geographical area limitation.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Experience with cast aluminum parts, injection molded plastics and stamped metal components.
- Automotive background with a Tier 1 supplier.
- Experience in CREO 4.0 is preferred, design experience in CAD required
- Administer mechanical and electromechanical principles to identify and understand issues, and to generate design solutions for various product development challenges.
- Background in IATF 16949 quality systems
- Ability to generate tests and test plans to sufficiently validate product designs required
- Experience managing test technicians a plus
- Project management knowledge and experience a plus
- Experience working knowledge of various commodities, cost drivers, and manufacturing techniques
- Individual must be capable of writing technical documents such as UL procedures, test reports, and patent disclosures
- Must be team oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills and effective communication.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.