Position Title: Director, US State, Local, and Indirect Tax
Location: Atlanta, GA
Reporting Manager: VP, Tax Global Reporting and Compliance
The Director - US State, Local and Indirect Tax will lead all aspects of the Company's state and local income tax function and the indirect tax function, including managing the service provider for filing all of the state and local tax returns, leading the staff and shared services for the indirect tax filings, leading the state and local tax provision process including identification and management of related uncertain tax positions, managing all the state, local and indirect controversy, and liaise with the tax planning team to support state tax impacts of any potential planning opportunities or acquisitions/dispositions.
• Oversee the overall state and local tax compliance process, including state and local estimated tax payments.
• Manage the co-sourcing compliance engagement with the third-party service provider.
• Supports the state and local tax provision process including the state current and deferred provision for all states, documenting and maintaining all the state and local uncertain tax positions, and documentation/analysis of state and local federal tax attributes.
• Directs the preparation of work papers and tax returns to ensure compliance with state and local laws and regulations. Responsible for writing tax memos in order to document the Company's tax positions when appropriate.
• Interpret and provide guidance on any new state and local tax laws that impact the tax return or the provision.
• Analyzes and reviews accounting books and records to determine tax issues and recommends solutions based on findings.
• Oversee the indirect tax function including compliance, reserves, and controversy.
• Provides advice and counsel on audit settlement opportunities and strategy. Serves as a resource to the Audit Team leaders for state taxes and sales & use tax in resolving audit issues.
• Participates with acquisitions to help ensure they are structured in a manner that minimizes taxes.
• Liaises with the tax planning director and team members to provide support for state and local matters or data in support of tax planning projects, and the transfer pricing director to ensure accurate and complete transfer pricing for state and local purposes.
• Manages state and local controversy and ongoing audits, including notices.
• Manages timely apportionment calculations and updates on ad hoc basis as needed for changes to the business, for example a disposition or law change.
• Manage state and local and indirect cash taxes for quarterly reporting and planning.
• Manage and develop direct and indirect reports.
• Collaborate with director peers to show leadership to the tax team and collectively help drive team initiatives.
• Interact with external SEC auditors to answer questions with regard to state and local tax matters in the consolidated financial statements.
• 12+ years of experience in public accounting, corporate tax and/or accounting at a firm, or company operating in a complex, global environment required.
• At least 10 years of experience with interpreting tax laws, technical documents and government regulations.
• Experience managing controversy and interacting with state and local tax authorities.
• Experience interpreting and communicating technical tax issues to non-technical internal or external clients.
• Experience in managing outside consultants and budget-related issues.
• At least 10 years of experience in state and local tax compliance.
• At least 5 years of experience in accounting for income tax with regard to state and local implications.
• Experience with MS Office Suite.
• At least 5 years of experience planning, developing, and managing departmental expense and capital budgets.
• At least 5 years of experience directly managing people, including hiring, developing, motivating, and directing people as they work
• Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or Economics
• CPA, JD or Master's Degree in Taxation
Newell Brands (NASDAQ: NWL) is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands, including Paper Mate, Sharpie, Dymo, EXPO, Parker, Elmers, Coleman, Marmot, Oster, Sunbeam, FoodSaver, Mr. Coffee, Graco, Baby Jogger, NUK, Calphalon, Rubbermaid, Contigo, First Alert, and Yankee Candle. For hundreds of millions of consumers, Newell Brands makes life better every day, where they live, learn, work and play. Newell Brands and its subsidiaries are Equal OpportunityEmployers and comply with applicable employment laws. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled are encouraged to apply.